30

Ruka (3)

"That was something back there." Haru said as we sat down to eat our breakfast.

"Yeah..." I rubbed the back of my neck slowly. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

He shook his head. "No, no. I understand. I completely agree with you all, but it wasn't my place." Haru looked down at his bowl of oatmeal. "I felt the same way when they took my father away. But when he came home, I started seeing things differently."

I smiled. "I'm happy for you. All of you."

"Thank you." Haru said.

It was quiet between us for a moment until Haru put his oatmeal down. His eyebrows were furrowed together. "You and Zuko have quite the history... huh?"

"What makes you ask that?" I asked him.

"By the way he looks at you." Haru said. "It's intense. Like something is just about to erupt from him."

I slowly nodded. "I ended up traveling with Zuko the majority of the time and developing a romantic relationship with him. Things didn't end up working with us, but they worked out with him and Aang, so... I guess that's all that matters."

"Sure, but of course you wish that your relationship lasted."

I slowly nodded with a shrug. "Yeah, sure."

>>>

Once the sun had went down and the moon took over, Aang and Sokka walked over to me to my tent.

"Ruka." Aang called to get my attention. I turned my head to him and nodded. "What's up?"

"We all know Katara and Zuko are going to leave anyway." Sokka said. "So we need you to go with them."

I shook my head, "No. I have no desire to meet this man or contribute to their plot."

"We know. If you go, you'll be able to control it." Aang said.

"Well, why can't one of you go?" I asked. "We all feel the same way."

"Because they won't listen to us. And frankly, I don't think they'd even let us go." Aang shrugged.

Sokka sighed, "Katara looks up to you."

I scoffed, "No, she doesn't-"

"Yes she does." Sokka cut in quickly. "And Zuko being in love with you and all, he'll definitely listen to you."

I shook my head, "Okay. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now. What if I can't stop them?"

"Then at least we know we tried." Aang slightly smiled. "Please, Ruka."  His eyes were big and sweet. I tried to look away from them, but I couldn't.

I groaned as I gave in. "Fine. I will go."

"Great!" Aang grinned.

Sokka threw me a bag full of things. "We already packed your bag. Let's catch up with them before they leave."

"I'm going to ignore that you went through my stuff." While walking passed him, I pointed my finger at him. "Don't do it again."

We met up with Katara and Zuko who were getting things ready to leave.

"So you were just going to take Appa anyway?" Aang asked her.

"Yes." Katara simply answered.

I looked down to Zuko who was placing things in a bag. He glanced up at me for a moment until I turned away from him. 

"It's okay, because I forgive you. That give you any ideas?" Aang sounded hopeful that Katara would get the hint. Katara ignored him.

Her back was facing us letting Sokka slightly push me forward. I sent him a glare before taking a deep breath. "I'm going with you."

My sister turned around, her brow raised. "Why?"

"You really think I'm going to let you do this alone?" I crossed my arms while nudging my head at Zuko. "Yeah, you've got him, but nothing beats two mastered water benders, am I right?"

Her small smile only lasted a second until she was serious again.  "Don't try to stop us."

I placed my hands up. "That's not my plan. Just here for the ride."

She nodded before taking my bag and throwing it up onto Appa.

"Katara, this is a journey you need to take. You need to face this man. But when you do, please don't choose revenge. Let your anger out and then let it go. Forgive him." Aang pleaded.

"Okay, we'll be sure to do that guru-goody-goody." Zuko teased. I rolled my eyes. "Quit it."

He ignored me and hopped onto Appa. I followed, crawling to the corner of the saddle away from Zuko. 

"Thanks for understanding, Aang." Katara said as she held the reigns. "Yip-yip!"

We were now in the air, the cold breeze flowing through us. I kept my gaze straight and sat with my knees held up to my chest. I can't lie and say I'm not nervous to meet the man who killed my mother.

"Did you say bye to your boyfriend?" Zuko's voice snapped me back into reality. I didn't register his question fast enough. I cocked my brow at him, wanting more clarification.

"The guy with the beard."

I furrowed my brows. "He's not my boyfriend. And his name is Haru."

"Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to offend your boyfriend."

I shook my head. "He's just a friend, Zuko. Not that I need to explain anything to you."

"Whatever." He scoffed.