CHAPTER FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN | THE DJINN

Several years after the incident, Geralt and Caira continued their work together—making large sums of money as they hunted monsters together

Several years after the incident, Geralt and Caira continued their work together—making large sums of money as they hunted monsters together. Though the thought of the night she was nearly raped still haunted Caira, she had completely healed from it and grew past it all. Throughout the years, Caira adopted much of Geralt's swordsmanship and learned more of his brute skills, since she couldn't only rely on swords or daggers to defend herself anymore.

For the past few months, Geralt had been waking up in nervous sweats from night terrors he was receiving. He had been quite pensive lately, but wouldn't tell Caira what it was. He was having nightmares about Caira dying—in childbirth. He had images flash through his mind of this small creature coming out of her womb and ripping her to pieces. He hadn't the slightest clue why he was dreaming such horrible dreams, but that wasn't the only thing haunting him. Ever since he had learned about his child surprise, he couldn't help but to feel responsible for the child. He had left Cintra in such a hurry after Caira, he had practically abandoned his obligation to this child. Nevertheless, he also hadn't wanted to receive the child, despite what had happened with Caira that night. The two were camped out in a forest, near a small lake when Geralt awoke in his distressed state once more.

"Again?" Caira asked him as he stabbed the ground with a wooden stick she found.

Geralt made his typical gruff sound. "I'm just waiting for the day you tell me what the hell is wrong with you." Caira sighed, continuing to pick at the muddy ground.

Geralt pressed his lips into a firm line. He decided it would be best to tell her since it could alleviate some of his distress knowing she'd be aware of such danger. "I've been having nightmares." He admitted.

"Yeah, I can tell."

"About your death."

"Oh?"

"In childbirth."

Caira chuckled. "Yeah, whatever. Not going to happen, so don't worry. That can't be the only thing keeping you up at night, since we both know I'm not nor will be getting pregnant anytime soon."

Geralt sighed and scratched his ear. "I have a child surprise."

He was just blurting it all out at that moment. He must've had a breakthrough of honesty, because he was not holding back one bit from Caira. Caira's mouth fell agape. "When did this happen?" She inquired.

"After you left me in Cintra. Something went down with Princess Pavetta and her now-husband, and they offered me the law of surprise. I didn't know she'd reveal she was pregnant at that very moment." Geralt groaned, burying his face in his hands.

"And you will now claim the child now?"

"I don't feel she is mine to claim. The law is old and foolish anyway, I don't know why I'm thinking about it so much." Geralt muttered.