Chapter 3

"I can't believe this, though! You're not going to be here for our break at all!" Lindy pouted at the Tia's dinner table that night.

"Well I'll be here for the last week, which is good since Christmas is in that week. I just wish the circumstances were different, though – I mean, on the one hand I can't believe I'm finally going to Australia – and completely free too – but on the other hand, I'm dreading going on this trip with ... Elijah," Tia responded, feeling suddenly nauseated when she remembered him.

"That must suck, huh?" Eliza said, patting Tia's shoulder. "I know how you must feel – I mean you complain about him every time you speak to him." Tia nodded, twirling her spaghetti absentmindedly.

"Well, personally, I think you could be going with someone much worse..." Lindy said. Tia looked up at her, mouth dropped wide.

"You're kidding right? Who could possibly be worse than Big-head Jones?" she said.

"I dunno. Well, it's just ... he's not so bad-looking, if you know what I mean," Lindy giggled. Tia made a face and Eliza laughed beside her.

"Ugh, Lindy! Doesn't matter how good he may look. His personality has disfigured him completely," she said.

"We'll see if you feel that way after you've spent two weeks with him. In the Australian sun," Lindy winked. Tia rolled her eyes.

"Please!" she laughed. "Can we change the subject?" She sprinkled parmesan cheese over her spaghetti and spoke again. "So, what are you guys going to do over the break?"

Lindy and Eliza looked at one another and shrugged. Before either could answer, Tia's mother, Amy, walked through the door, talking loudly on her phone.

"What? No, I never agreed to that! I can't believe this! I'm away for one day and the whole company falls apart," she said, sounding exasperated. She threw her keys and bag on the couch.

"Hi mum!" called Tia. Her mother waved in her direction, dismissively, and continued talking. Tia rolled her eyes.

"James, I don't understand why you'd tell him I wanted the blue when I specifically told you I wanted the yellow!" Amy shouted. "FORGOT?! Don't you even know how important this is? Why didn't you write it down, you idiot? Just – ugh – just forget it. I'll come in tomorrow morning and we'll fix it. – No, I will not have a good day because you just ruined it!"

The three friends heard her slam a door and begin swearing profusely. After a minute or so, she came out and walked toward the dining room.

"What's for dinner?" she asked Tia, still very heated.

"Uh, I made spaghetti..." Tia responded, not looking at her. Amy rolled her eyes.

"Always the same thing with you, isn't it?" she mumbled, as she crossed over to the door.

"Hey mum, I have to tell you something," Tia said. Amy turned, slowly.

"What is it?"

"It might take a while, so get your food and I'll tell you," Tia answered. Amy didn't hesitate.

After taking her sweet time in the kitchen, Amy finally joined them on the table and Tia told her the news about her trip.

"Okay," is all she said when Tia was done.

"Uh – uh, yes so I'll be away for two weeks," Tia said, a little flustered, not that she was surprised her mother reacted like this. "I'm not sure what the cost of calls are from Australia to London, but I'll work it out and – uh – give you a call when I get there." Her mother slurped her food and shrugged.