Ch. 1: The Haunted Hotel

Half a year has gone by since the Ghostbusters came into being. They were still widely popular among the New Yorkers, keeping the state lesser of ghosts. They had recaptured a good majority of the spooks, specters, and ghouls that escaped when the power grid was shut off back on November 2, 1984.

The four even traveled to other states, helping anyone in need of getting rid of ghosts and demons.

You may think they never get any sleep, but they do, for which they are grateful. Nevertheless, one of these days, they will hire more help. Maybe even create a school for those interested in parapsychology and ghostbusting.

****

It was ten O'clock, Thursday morning. The four Ghostbusters, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Peter Venkman, and Ray Stantz, were yet to be called into action, so they had the chance to sleep in.

However, their extra half-hour was interrupted by the alarm bell telling them they had yet another ghost to catch.

They rushed out of their beds, down one of the fire poles, got into their jumpsuits, and started up the Ecto-1 with that unique siren that was like no other you heard before.

The guys were heading to a hotel called the Night Inn.

The report was of three ghosts in three different locations there. One was in the lobby, the second in the restaurant area, and the third in one of the hotel rooms on the fifth floor.

The guests and workers were to stay only in designated areas; the restaurant and lobby were closed until further notice. Room 509's ghost, however, had a human trapped inside with it.

Two of the hotel's managers tried to get the person out, but the ghost would not allow it.

As the four walked into the lobby, there was no ghost in sight.

Egon took out his PKE Meter and started walking around to see if it would pick up anything paranormal.

Ray put on his PKE Goggles and did the same.

Peter and Winston got their Neutrona Wands at the ready.

"Here, ghosty, ghosty, ghosty," Peter said, taunting it to show itself.

Nothing happened.

"C'mon!" Peter provoked. "You can terrorize and show yourself to those who work and stay here, but you can't do that with us? You coward!"

At that last comment, something hit him in the back of the head.

He almost fell forward.

At first, Peter did not say anything, only made a shocked, sore face with his eyes going wide and nearly crossing.

"Ouch!" He then yelled, stretching the word. He looked to see what hit him. It was the guest sign-in book. "Okay! Who threw that?"

"That would be the ghost, Peter," Egon answered as his PKE Meter abruptly went off. He aimed it towards the reception desk. "It's here."

"No kidding," Peter said as he looked behind him at the desk and saw a male apparition who had half his face missing from a fatal gunshot wound.

"I see it," Ray said, turning toward the desk. "Wow, that's gross!"

"We all see it, Ray," Egon responded. "And agreed, it is gross."

"He must have some unfinished business. Probably on who shot him," Winston suggested.

"Makes sense." Ray settled his goggles atop his head now.

"Should we try talking with him?" Winston asked.

"A spirit like this wouldn't be able to see reason," Egon told him, "he may not know how much time has passed since his death."

"Wait, I'm confused," Peter cut in, "If this ghost doesn't know how much time has passed, then shouldn't he, maybe, not know he's dead and just continue reliving his tragic death over and over again?"

"They all range differently."

"Oh."

"Well, c'mon guys," Ray asserted. "We need to hurry and catch these two ghosts so we can save the fifth story ghost's hostage."

"Right! I forgot about that!"

"You were just hit be a heavy book," Ray reminded Peter.

"I don't have amnesia, Ray. I just forgot about the human."

"You're the killer," the ghost spoke up.

All four Ghostbusters looked to the ghost with confused faces.

"Which one of us is he talking to?" Winston asked.

"Good question," Egon said.

Then, in that exact moment, everything that was larger or even heavy enough to hurt a person levitated from their spots. The Ghostbusters had "oh shit," faces plastered onto their features. The levitating objects began to fly at them, and they ducked and scattered as best they could to avoid getting killed.

Only three of the four Ghostbusters found a stable, stuck-to-the-ground counter to hide underneath.

When they noticed one of their comrades missing, they realized who the true target was.

It was Peter.

A glass vase flew at his head, and he ducked, throwing his arms up to protect his face and shutting his eyes to keep the shards from getting into them.

"Venkman!" the three cry out in fear.

"Killer!" the spirit repeated. He threw more at the one he accused of murdering him.

"I'm not the one who killed you!" Peter rolled out of the way from more tossed objects. Then, to his fellow Ghostbusters, he yelled, "Guys, help! What are you waiting for?"

"We're on it!" Ray answered. "Egon! Winston! Throw it! I'll get the trap ready."

Winston and Egon fired their particle throwers while Ray rolled out the trap.

The spirit was not paying any mind to the other three, so they had the chance to wrap their particle streams around him.

The two brought the ghost closer to the trap as Ray opened and just as quickly reclosed it to encompass the first of the three spirits.

Peter breathed a sigh of relief. "About time!"

"You alright, Pete?" Stantz asked as he and the other two walked over to him.

"Oh, just fine," he answered sarcastically.

Ray and Winston helped him back onto his feet.

"Let's head over to the restaurant," Egon spoke. "You able to continue, Peter?"

"Yeah. Let's get this over with."

To their surprise, this was an easy catch, much easier than the first. The spirit haunting this spot was a little girl around ten years old. She appeared to have once been strangled and searching for her mother ever since.

"Poor kid," Ray said sadly, as the trap smoked and a light blinked, indicating to them that they had her. "I always hate having to capture the kids. They never had a chance of a full life."

"It is sad," Zeddemore sympathized.

"Well," Venkman started, "We gotta do what we gotta do. We have to keep the living happy."

"I guess that's true. But still," Stantz mourned.

Moving forward to the next task-at-hand, Winston announced, "Now, last,but certainly not least, the fifth floor."