23. A flicker in the darkness

Sunshine is decidedly a character to say the least.

My first impression of her was seeing this black mare, with mane and tail matted and mud smeared over her flanks, chomping happily on hay in her stable stall, this pleasant view lasted for the grand total of about two whole seconds, before chaos erupted when she randomly lunged, teeth out, at her neighbour in the stall over, the poor horse leaped back, ears flattened to its head, whilst Sunshine happily started nibbling on its food instead of her own.

The second incidence happened when Sage went in to intervene and narrowly missed being kicked by a random leg of hers flying out at him. It then took a good chunk of time for both Killian and Sage working together to get her outside and tied up without causing anyone or thing injury.

To say the least, she is far from the handsome, well trained horse that Zuri was and I inwardly giggle at Killian riding her.

We made it out of the village pretty promptly, and now find ourselves retracing our journey from yesterday, unfortunately today though, the weather has final caught up to the season. Grey clouds are beginning to form on the horizon behind us, and cool breeze is slowing picking up as time goes on.

We are riding in single file, Killian up at the front on Sunshine, followed by Sage then finally me, none of us our talking, but it's a comfortable silence.

We stop and eat a quick meal at our previous campsite before moving onto new territory, the afternoon ride becoming more enjoyable with us all riding close together and sharing tales.

"So you're telling us that you fought under King Edward III's direct orders?" Sage's jaw drops.

"Well yes, it is one of our greatest accomplishments so far in this war,"

"From what we were told the Englishmen wiped out the French, our village celebrated for a week."

Killian smiles, "I wouldn't quite say we wiped them out, but they certainly didn't stand a chance."

"Of course they didn't!" Sage enthusiastically pumps his arm into the air, causing Griffin to start slightly.

"Calm down boy," I stroke Griffins neck gently, "it's just Sage not thinking,"

"Whoops, sorry!"

"Don't worry about it," I say, "you're just lucky Sunshine didn't mind or else there would've been hell to pay."

I laugh at the idea.

"You wouldn't be laughing if you were riding this unpredictable beast!" Killian gestures down at the plodding horse, who somehow has more grass in her mouth, and is ignoring the rest of the world.

"Ah she's not thaat bad," Sage chuckles.

The joking around continues all afternoon but slowly dwindles out as the light begins to fade.

Killian takes a glance up and furrows his brow, "Looking at the sky I am beginning to have doubts about whether we will make it to Colben tonight."

He lets the statement hang in the air.

"How far away is Colben?" I tentatively ask.

"You see how the path winds up the base of the mountain ahead of us, half way up, you see there?" He points in-between the two now giant mountains rising from the ground a few miles away, "The village is nestles in there, just before the going gets even rougher and we enter the true mountain path."

We still have a way to go.

"That looks like it will take us at least a few hours after dark to reach," Sage says slowly.