Chapter 41 - Law and Order

A/N: Just this chapter + two more to go 😢 (And a bonus one) Am I the only one crying? Anyways, enjoy!

-

The weeks leading up to the trial were hell. I would really like to sugar coat that, but I want to be honest here. They just weren't pretty. 

After I had given my statement and answered every question Sheriff Scott had asked me, as best as I could, I was free to leave again. After me, the others were questioned and I wanted to wait for them, like they did for me, but Cody insisted, that I had to get home and rest. In the end, we made a compromise, that we would at least wait for Romeo, because I really fucking needed him right now. I knew after what had happened that day, I definitely wouldn't have a night without night terrors ahead of me and it always helped to wake up next to him. 

As it turns out, these couple of weeks were filled with me waking up screaming every night and Romeo trying to calm me down. Almost every night I woke up, covered in sweat and tears and Romeo hugging me, whispering sweet nothings in my ear and rocking me back and forth. I even caught him having a nightmare of his own once or twice, which concerned me, especially when he kept mumbling stuff like 'Don't hurt him' or 'Let him go'. It pained me, but all I could do was be there for him and wake him up, so he could see I was right next to him and unharmed. 

I also had constant anxiety and the smallest things triggered a panic attack in me. Lucky for me I was never alone when they happened and Cody, my friends or Romeo would help me get through them. The constant fear of Ray pointing a gun at me or overpowering me, consumed every last bit of my brain and it was honestly exhausting. I was so lucky to have my family and friends by my side though. 

Especially Romeo has been great these past weeks. He didn't mind spending his time with me, he also didn't mind skipping school with me on days when it was really bad. He didn't need me to say or do anything, he was just there for me and didn't complain once. I felt bad and guilty, but he kept telling me, that he didn't mind at all and that he just wanted to help me get better. 

The worst part though, yes there is a worse part than the panic attacks, was the whole trial ahead thing. Not only did I have to meet with my lawyer at least once a week, to go through everything again, but all the other stuff concerning the trial stressed me to the max. 

He was pretty great, my lawyer, and known in his business apparently and I could only afford somebody like him, because Romeos parents insisted on paying the bills. I tried to talk them out of it, but they wanted me to have the best representation in court and Mr. Hampton, that was his name, was one of their best friends and they knew, he would be good, so I shut my mouth and took the offer. 

It was hard going through every fucking detail of the story again, but Mr. Hampton let me take breaks whenever I wanted to, he explained everything very carefully to me and I actually felt understood. He didn't treat it like just another job he had to do, he gave me the feeling, that he actually wanted to win this thing. But not for his career, but for justice. 

But even worse than reliving everything again were the reports. God, I really thought at some point it would blow over, but apparently this was the biggest story in Pine Hill they had in a long long time. At first they waited in front of my house. They wanted me to come outside and give a statement or answer their questions, but fucking hell, who in my position would do that?? 

It got so bad, that I moved to Romeos for a few days, just until they realized, I wasn't at home any more. And they couldn't get too close to Romeos house, because of the Gate. Then they even waited for me in front of the school. One time, we were at football practice, which I still did and not with too many panic attacks so far, lucky me, and suddenly this guy showed up at the blanchers, which was odd, but fuck it, maybe he was a fucking creep, who knows, nothing too out of the ordinary or so we thought.