Chapter 4

The Rising of Friendly Antagonism

I was dreaming. I was at a beach. Though it wasn't exactly a beach. It was dark everywhere, the only light coming from a nearby lamp post. The sand was deep blue and had a cold, grimy texture to it. The water was deep and murky, as thick as blood but darker, almost black. I turned slowly towards the lamp post, knowing that I shouldn't, but also knowing that I would, as always.

Ding!

My eyes flew open. The relief of a dream being only just a dream washed over me. I pressed my clammy hands to my face, my long slim fingers absorbing the warmth of my flushed face. My body relaxed as the warmth of my blankets seeped into my body.

There was a flash next to my face . Looking over at my phone on my bedside, I realised it just was a text that woke me up. I grabbed my phone off the bedside table and read the message.

Rise and shine, sleeping beauty.

It was addressed from 'Sexy beast'. I looked at my phone in confusion, my hand hovering over the keyboard.

Yesterday's events then dawned on me. Wes. I typed a reply:

Go away.

I rolled back over. Another ding sounded just a few seconds later. I sighed in annoyance, closing my eyes to savour a few moments of sleep. Another ding sounded. I felt a nerve in my forehead jump in annoyance.

I rolled over slowly and grabbed my phone. The first one said:

Someone's irritable in the morning.

The next said:

Come on, the earlier you get up the earlier you get to see my sexy face.

Yup, never getting up. Ever.

That's probably because your kinky dreams of us involve more action than you can get at school.

My mouth fell open. He did not just say that. I pressed the lock button on my phone and got out of bed, shaking off my stiff limbs. It was 7.20 am. I stretched and looked out my balcony window, seeing my dad's car, a Lamborghini Raventon, pull out of the driveway as a very light drizzle began. I hadn't seen my dad much lately, for a while actually. He went to work early and came home late. He always parked his car at the furthest edge of the driveway since he was always the first to leave. It seemed almost as though he was always at the edge, ready to flee first but still remaining formally attached to home. My car was almost always in the garage, parked here and not going anywhere, just like me.

I looked around my room. Wait, how did I even get here? I remembered falling asleep on the couch yesterday. That explained the slight aching sore in my shoulders. I looked back out the window, dad had already driven down the street and out of sight. Huh, he must have carried me upstairs. I felt a light tugging at my heart at the thought of that.

I shook my head slightly and went to my bathroom attached to my room. I took a quick shower and dried my hair, combing through its thick waves. I then threw on skinny dark grey jeans and a purple hoodie before making my way out the house.

I was already a few minutes away from home before I realized I had forgotten my umbrella. I slapped a hand to my face. Beautiful start to the day. Sighing, I pulled my hood over my head before the light drizzle could get worse.

Just then, someone pulled up right in front of me. Looking up, I saw that damn black Nissan and that damn smirking guy looking out at me from the driver's seat.