Freedom

Sleepily I stretched out my arm, feeling for the warmth of the man I had shared my bed with. When I couldn't feel him next to me my eyes snapped open. Had it all been a dream? No. I was still naked and my mattress had an obvious stain. No, it had been real. I heard a voice from outside and looked out the window. It was almost noon by now. And there he stood, in all his glory, only wearing his breeches and talking to his horse. The scene was honestly absolutely heart-warming. This almost monster of a man talking soothingly to that beautiful horse, which was peacefully munching on... no! Not my flowers! I hastily got up and threw on the first piece of clothing I could find. Which happened to be Geralt's black shirt. Barefoot I stumbled out of the front door. "Hey! Not those!" I protested as my legs gave out and the witcher caught me, an amused look on his face.

"Why not? She seems to like them." He shrugged while holding me up by my waist. Upon noticing what I was wearing he grinned. "You know what they say? Once she wears you clothes she's yours."

"Oh, so you're planning to keep me?" I joked.

"For as long as you let me," he replied. He glanced at his horse. "Oh, right! Uhm, Nienna, this is Roach, my, uh, trusty steed," he chuckled, before turning to the horse and mentioning at me with his hand. "And Roach, this is Nienna. She'll come with us."

Roach blew through her nose. I raised my hand for her to smell and she did, nudging it with her muzzle, wanting me to pet her. "Hey, beautiful," I cooed at the mare. Roach nuzzled into my touch, blowing appreciatively.

"Hmm, seems like she likes you." The witcher sounded satisfied.

I smiled at the horse one last time before turning to her owner.

"I'll make breakfast," I told him. With a glance at the sky I added, "or... lunch."

He nodded while grabbing a bucket of water, lifting it off the ground for Roach to drink.

I went to my kitchen and cut the rest of the bread that was left from yesterday. Holding my hand over a pitcher I whispered "yax" and it filled with fresh milk. Just as I was washing berries I had collected yesterday I heard footsteps behind me. They didn't stop until I felt a chest pressing into my back and hands resting on my waist. The witcher's hair tickled my exposed skin as he kissed my already marked neck. I leaned my head back against his shoulder, releasing a sigh. And then he was gone, just like the breadbasket and the pitcher filled with milk. I chuckled and turned, just in time to see him step out of the kitchen. Smiling I grabbed the berries and filled them into a bowl, before joining Geralt at the table.

"So, let me get this straight," I laughed at him as I sat down, "Witchers usually don't have feelings, but when they fall for a woman they turn into domestic teddy-bears?"

"Hmm. No. Witchers do have feelings, but we are taught how to turn them off. Most of us do, because it makes the job easier. And that I'm helping you is just a way of showing my gratefulness for letting me stay the night. Truth is, you're different from all the other women I have met - and bedded - and something is drawing me to you," he confessed.

"Hm, so the Butcher of Blaviken is drawn to me. Should I be scared?" I joked but the witcher grew pale.

"You know about that?" his deep voice was barely a whisper.

I smiled sadly at him. "Word travels fast. I'm sorry, but from what I've heard, you didn't have much of a choice."

He nodded, but did not look at me. Instead he let his eyes wander around the room. "So, will you come with me?" he asked. I nodded. "You'll need to pack. I wanted to be gone by tomorrow noon," he said, his voice lacking of the usual warmth.

We ate breakfast in silence. When we were done I cleaned up the table and the dishes and started sorting the things I wanted to keep and put them on my bed. It was mostly stuff that I needed for my potions, some clothes and the coin I had earned. Behind me the witcher cleared his throat. "Uhm, will I be getting my shirt back any time soon?" he asked chuckling. I was relieved as the warmth returned to his voice.

I turned to him, smiling. "Hmm. I don't know. Come here and find out."

"You know what happened the last time you said that."

He closed the distance between us with two steps, grabbing my hips and pulling up the shirt. I lifted my arms for him to pull the fabric from me completely. And then I stood before him, nude, while he was slipping into his shirt. He admired my naked form for a while before reaching behind me and pulling a dress from my bed and handing it to me. I got dressed quickly and returned to packing up my stuff. As I was done I put everything into a backpack I had conjured. It wasn't much: herbs and oils, a little clothing, a few blankets, soap and my coin-purse, a little kettle was dangling from the side. And I'd carry my weapons strapped to my side.

That night we slept cuddled together, planning to leave this place as early as possible.

And that we did. We both woke up at dawn and got dressed for the road. While Geralt was putting on his armour with expertise, I got dressed in a dress, tight pants, warm socks and boots. Once I was done I put my hair in a thick braid and draped my cloak over my shoulders. Just as I wanted to grab my backpack it was snatched from in front of my fingers. "We'll strap it to the saddle." Was the explanation coming from the witcher. Humming in agreement I strapped my father's sword to my hip, pushing my dagger into the belt as well.

"All done," I beamed at Geralt. Now that I was packed I was eager to leave this place. Or maybe it was just the company that had me excited. We stepped out the front door and Geralt strapped all of our bags to Roach's saddle. The mare huffed quietly, seemingly not that excited to be out on the road again.

We walked away from my old home, Geralt leading Roach by the reins and holding my hand with his - well, formerly - free hand. As we were about thirty feet away from the house I turned, taking one last look at the cottage before I raised both my hands, concentrating.

"What are you doing?"

"I will not let my home fall into the hands of these people, who tried to murder me!" I explained, just as the roof caught fire. Satisfied I turned back into the direction in which we were walking, along the road, into the forest. I took a deep breath, the first of many in freedom.