Let's Play a Game (40)

Three months later…

I looked down at the new wedding dress that was lying on my bed. It looked nothing like the dress that I had worn months before, the one that had once belonged to Brianna

When there was a knock on my door, I jumped a little before saying, “Come on in.”

The door opened to reveal Kate, a five-month-old Allison in her arms. She was now married to Logan and was talking about how they were planning on having another baby soon, just like Kate had wanted. One of the first things she had ever said to me that was that she wanted to have a baby once she got out of high school, and now she was going to do it… even though it was her second child.

“You sure look excited,” she grinned at me as she placed her daughter on my bed and handed her one of her toys. “Even more excited than last time.”

That was because the last time Zach and I tried to get married, not only were we still in high school, but someone had been trying to kill me for months as well. Now that Todd was in jail and he was never going to get out, there was nothing I had to worry about.

Kate blinked at me now. “You look like you’re going to be sick.”

“Because I might be.”

All day I hadn’t been feeling well, and it had been getting worse and worse as every minute went by. I knew I was nervous, but I didn’t think that I was this nervous… Especially after everything that had happened last time.

“Are you really that afraid that something’s going to stop your wedding this time?” Kate asked me now, a small smirk on her face as she looked up at me. “Maxynn, Todd is in jail and Aveline’s dead. No one else would stop the two of you from getting married. You have nothing to be worried about.”

I started breathing again, even though I still couldn’t help but feel a little nervous. Zach and I were getting married tomorrow. We were having a small party with our friends at the house to celebrate, and we were bringing all the kids along as well so Ethan could hang out with Riley and Sadie.

Brianna and Steve were out, and I was almost sure that my dad was with them, even though I didn’t know completely. He had moved back into our old house a few weeks after graduation, since it was now back to how it used to be, but he allowed me to continue living in Zach’s house with him until we both left for college.

Allison suddenly started crying, which caused both Kate and me to jump. Kate laughed sheepishly as she picked up her daughter and began rocking her back and forth. After a few moments, she was quiet once again.

“I can’t wait until Zach and I have a baby,” I smiled at the two of them happily. “We’re gonna be waiting for a little while though.”

Kate almost snorted. “You better.”

I was so glad that I had a best friend like Kate that would always look out for me. If it wasn’t for her, I would have been dead right then. She was the one that had seen me with Todd on that day all those months before. I was really thankful that she was there for me and I couldn’t believe there was a time when I didn’t like her.

She now looked down at my wedding dress as she continued to rock Allison. “So I’m guessing the other one was ruined beyond repair, huh?”

I frowned down at my new dress now, remembering how beautiful the old one had been. Not only that, but it had been Zach’s mother. I still felt guilty for ruining it, even though it wasn’t exactly my fault… But then again, now that I thought about it, it was. It was my fault for rejecting Todd.

Kate’s eyebrows furrowed now, as if she could hear what I was thinking. She put Allison back down on my bed gently before taking a step toward me and placing her hands on my shoulders. After staring right into my eyes for a few moments, she shook me.