Part 11

I woke up to light giggles and sunlight filling the room.

"Shhh Char, he's sleeping..." I heard a voice whisper, in response I picked up my head and looked at the doorway. Standing there was Jack and Charlotte I chuckled to myself.

"My two little kids," I spoke loud enough for them to hear me. They both laughed, Charlie ran and got into bed with me.

"Alex, Jack wouldn't feed me!" She whined snuggling next to my face. Jack snorted.

"No no no! I said we had to wait, not that I wouldn't feed you. Don't get me in trouble.." he laughed. These are the mornings I want. Okay well, maybe a woman instead of Jack but this will do. I thought smiling.

"Alex look at me!" Char grabbed my face pulling me to look at her, she crossed her eyes and giggled.

"Careful, you will get them stuck like that.." I chuckled grabbing her tiny hands in mine. I sound like my parents saying that.

"Do you want pancakes?" I asked pushing her hair out of her eyes. She thought.

"When mama and I lived with Al he used to make me waffles and eggs." She thought aloud, I nodded. Who's Al? I don't know, but I can make waffles and eggs.

"Do you want that for breakfast then love?" I smiled. She nodded shyly and looked at Jack. We both smiled. She made a decision. That was good communication.

"Good; so Jay you go get stuff ready down stairs and the two of us will get ready." I suggest. He agreed and went down stairs. Charlie and I got up out of bed, going into her bathroom.

I helped her up onto the counter and ran a brush threw her hair. I grabbed a hair tie and thought about how to pull some of the hair that was falling into her face back. I slipped my finger threw the hair about an inch above her ear and collected a ponytail of hair to tie up.

"How does that look, sweetheart?" I asked, she turned and looked at the mirror behind her nodding. I smiled.

"Okay teeth," I said grabbing her tooth brush and toothpaste. I brushed her teeth and sang to keep her occupied. After we were finished, I grabbed her a t shirt and leggings from her draw. Then helping her into them.

"Okay love, go down to Jack and I'll join you two in a little." She nodded.

"Hey Jay, come help Char down the stairs." I called hearing an okay then him walking. I went into my bedroom and grabbed clothes but instead I was drawn to my phone. I sat on the bed and opened Instagram to a shit ton of comments.

Who's kid is that?
Aw cute
Is that your niece?
Alex has a kid?

All seemed nice and or confused but nothing bad. Until I went to Twitter and started to see articles about our situation.

"All Time Low lead singer, Alex Gaskarth, dead baby mama?"

"Alex Gaskarth new child?"

I sighed, it's out. I let it out, but we don't need to let them in. This is our life. My daughter. I opened Twitter and started typing,

"‪Hi friends, thank you for all the support in this time of change in my life. It's a long story that I am not ready to tell, also may not be all mine to tell, we ask you for respect and privacy as we adjust. Love you all. - Alex"

I sent that out and left my phone behind. I grabbed some clothes and went into the bathroom; I brushed my teeth, did my hair, and got dressed. Then went downstairs to join the crew.

"I-I don't know what I would do..." Jack chuckled as I walked into the kitchen.

"Alex, what would you do if you cracked an egg and a chicken came out?" Charlie asked now looking at me. I laughed out of shock.

"Uh um I would scream..." I laughed. "And never eat another egg ever again!" I finished pulling Char up into my arms and spinning her around. She giggled at me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"So where are we at? Eggs out, and there's Eggo waffles in the freezer." I spoke, Char settled on my hip with her head on my shoulder. Jack nodded along and went to the freezer pulling out the box, practically ripping it to shreds.

"You open that like a bear Jay..." I commented. We laughed.

"What's a bear?" Charlie asked, I sighed lightly. She must have been so withdrawn from the world.

"A bear is a big, scary animal that lives in the woods." I explained, with a smile. I put Char on the countertop and opened the egg container.

"Scrambled?" I asked aloud to the room, just hummed a yes. I looked at Charlie she shrugged.

"Char, did you go to school or anything like that?" I asked beating up a pan on the stove.

"No but Sarah used to say when she read it was school time... mama didn't like that she thought we were too loud." She sighed, almost like a distance memory. Jack coughed and sighed as he stood next to me, putting some waffles in the toaster.

"Well we like loud, don't we Lex?" He yelled spinning around, like a drunk ballerina. Charlotte laughed at him, we both did.

"Okay, time to crack the eggs... how many?" I asked looking a Charlie, she sighed looking at the carton in front of her.

"I don't know Alex..." She groaned.

"How many eggs are there?" I continued pushing, I know she's frustrated. But let's learn to use that frustration and turn it into learning.

"Okay let's count them. 1,2,3,4... 5, 6..." We slowly pointed to each one and giving it a number. Charlotte didn't know any numbers past 3, probably because she's only three years old but it was definitely interesting to see her try and understand what we were doing. We went on to count all the eggs, up to 12. A dozen eggs.

"Good job kiddo!" Jack cheered, I joined him. A strangely proud moment; you don't realize that we learn things that now are just second nature. I started cracking eggs into the pan and scrambled them, the three of us talked as Jack grabbed plates.

"I think Rian was saying he was going to come over today." Jack commented, I nodded as I put scrambled eggs into the three plates.

"I need to make a list of things we need to get done over this week." I mentioned aloud. Truly I do. Char needs; clothes, a workable bedroom, doctors appointments, and probably more things. Jack nodded at me and brought a plate of waffles to the table.

"Charlie; water, milk, or juice?" I asked, picking her up from the counter. She sighed and thought.

"Uh hm... water?" She spoke, more as if it was a question rather than an answer. I thought about how to handle this; she needs to be able to answer for herself, to make decisions.

"Do you want water?" I continued, she sighed again and nodded. She probably didn't have to make these types of decisions.

"Okay love..." I smiled not wanting to push it. We can't solve all the world problems in one morning. We sat at the at the kitchen table, all three of us. Which was perfect in its own way, I haven't had a "family" meal since I was a teen. Yeah I've had meals with; the band, girlfriends, friends, and other groups but not with flesh and blood like this. My daughter and one of my closest friends. The family I chose and that's pretty cool.

————————
Hi friends, next chapter coming soon! I hope everyone is doing well, I know the world is a little crazy right now but we will get through it. If you're reading this you're probably an ATL fan so what do you think of Getaway Green?