Chapter 18: Jericho

Simon fanart by Sabrina Glik

"You're... to be married?" You repeated, letting the words sink in. Chloe tucked a lock of blonde hair behind her ear, seemingly embarrassed.

"It's an arranged marriage. It's been arranged since we were children." Chloe looked away, not meeting your gaze. "Our parents were also childhood friends. So for us to be married... it just seemed logical."

"Why would they do that though?" You asked, "Is this something you want?" Chloe shook her head slightly.

"It's not that I don't like Cain. I do... but..." She trailed off, seemingly unsure of what to say next. You tentatively placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Surely there's something you can do. You shouldn't have to marry someone against your will." Chloe shook away from your hand, then noticing your downcast expression, she forced a slight smile.

"Sorry... I just... I just don't think there's anything I can do. This is the best decision. The only decision I can make." She then stood up, still not looking at you.

"Chloe?"

"I have to go too..." Then she quickly walked away, not for a second looking back.

You sat on the bench for a few moments more, before you also rose to your feet, and began walking back towards the school. Lunch was only half over, so you knew there was still more time before your next class.

Instead of going to class early, you decided to investigate the corridors of the school. Although you had been at this school now for a few months, there will still places you rarely wandered. This hallway in particular had quiet rooms, with glass windows. You walked past the familiar room where Markus had been playing piano once. As you kept walking, you came across another room, one filled with painting easels, and various works of art on the walls. You pressed your hand to the cool glass window, and peered inside. There were only three people in the room, two of them painting. The third one, to your utter surprise, turned from her standing position to stare at you. You stumbled back from the glass, your fight or flight response stirring in your mind. You made a movement to turn back up the corridor where you came, when the door opened. Standing in the doorway was the girl who had noticed you, a girl with a darker skin tone, piercing black eyes, and dreadlocks dyed a mix of purple and blue. You didn't think such bold hair was allowed on school grounds, but you couldn't deny that it suited her. Although her appearance was unique, it made her beauty stand out all the more.

The girl stood in the doorway, taking you in. It seemed like a long time before she finally spoke. "You're lost..." She murmured. "You're looking for something."

"U-Umm..." You stuttered, but were still completely unsure of what to say.

"You're looking for yourself." She tilted her head, studying you. "If you painted a picture of your soul, what colour would it be?"

"W-What?"

Just then, a boy came over from inside the classroom, looking sheepish. To your surprise, it was Simon.

"Lucy, don't confuse her." He then turned, and gave you a warm smile. "Hi [F/N]. Did you come to check out the art club?"

"W-Well... I was just looking around. I never knew there was an art club here."

"It's no surprise. It's not commonly talked about," Simon replied, stepping back to let you in. "We're like a 'secret club'. But it's really no secret!"

You turned slowly to study the classroom. It was quite cluttered, filled with various painting easels, cupboards with art materials, posters of various references and diagrams, and a window overlooking the gardens. Apart from Simon, Lucy, and yourself, the only other person in the room was a girl sitting behind an easel, seemingly entranced by her work.