The Heart of Hyndorin: 2

'Familiars?' I said, looking up at Miranda. 'Isn't that an outlawed art at home?'

'Not quite. It's strictly regulated, to the point that it might as well be banned as far as most people are concerned. Reason being, people are stupid. They try to take on creatures of far greater magickal potency than they can handle. The beast suffers, and the owner probably ends up as mincemeat.' Miranda's tone indicated her utter lack of sympathy for the latter.

'Okay, so it isn't a banned art here,' I said, leafing through the book.

Miranda took it off me, and opened it up at a chapter headed: Griffins.

'Griffin Familiars?' I squeaked. 'How's that possible?'

'I don't know if it still is, even here,' said Miranda. 'This book's eighty years old. But it was.'

'It is an art still practiced in some countries beyond Britain,' Em offered. 'Even with the greater beasts.' She looked at me in a thoughtful way that, for some reason, made me uneasy. 'Ves, some would say your relationship with Adeline is a form of Familiar-bonding.'

'Pup, too,' said Miranda. 'Or at least, that's where it's going.'

I may have blanched. 'But, um, that's illegal.'

'Not if you're properly regulated and acting with due authority,' said Miranda.

'But I'm not.'

'Want to bet?' said Jay. 'You think Milady isn't on top of all that?'

'Um.' I looked at Miranda. 'That lirrabird. Is that a familiar?'

'I'm building such a bond. It's... easier, here.'

Of course it was easier around here. It would be.

I thought about that.

'Why is this relevant?' said Jay to Miranda.

She scowled. 'I'm not sure if it is. But since everything about this little adventure keeps coming back to griffins, it could be useful to know.'

'It really could,' I said. 'Thank you.'

With a curt nod, she withdrew, taking the book with her.

'We're going back to the henge complex, right?' said Jay, fixing me with the eyes of hope.

'It does seem the quickest way to travel a few counties south.'

Jay rocketed out of his chair and was halfway to the door before I had time to draw breath.

I looked at Em. 'I think he likes that place.'

She smirked. 'What if I offered you a chocolate fountain the size of Stonehenge—'

'Say no more.' My eyes grew big.

'That's how Jay feels about those henge complexes.'

'In that case we'd better hurry, or we might never see him again.'

We didn't catch up with Jay until we arrived at the gates of the henge complex. Whether he'd run all the way up the hill or just sprouted wings and flown, I couldn't have said. He stood a few feet short of the first of the stone circles, visibly impatient.

'Sorry,' I gasped as we came up. 'I haven't your stride. Or your deep lust for limitless Waytravel.'

'Got Addie?' he said, ignoring that.

'Kind of.' I tapped my bosom area, where my syrinx pipes lay safely hidden.

'Er.' Jay looked, and hastily looked away again. 'Is that a yes?'