(19) Racing Towards Imprisonment.

"Marcel!" Pamela exclaimed with relief when she looked up at the person she'd bumped into. "I've been looking all over for you." She glanced back quickly to see if Bob was following. She then grabbed Marcel's hand and steered him towards the parking lot.

"Woah, easy. Where are we going?"

"Anywhere but here. Take me to your car, please. Drive me from here – I'll explain later." She added, cutting him off when he wanted to argue.

Pamela held her breath until they were well away from the building and were speeding down the highway.

"Okay, now, talk." He demanded.

Pamela brought out her phone and switched it off. It could be tracked. "It's a long story."

"I have all the time in the world."

She leaned her head on the seat and sighed. "Where do I start?"

Marcel didn't respond, and she didn't expect him to, she'd asked a rhetorical question so it surprised her when he did.

"Maybe from the moment, you dumped me?" His voice sounded cool and controlled, but she could see him clenching his jaw and gripping the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white.

It made him look forbidding, almost dangerous, and that surprised Pamela. He'd never gotten angry in her presence and he'd never acted angry. He'd always smiled and laughed and loved her. He'd always been the understanding and sweet partner. Anger didn't suit him.

He changes gears and took a sharp turn and that made her lurch forward. "Marcel, I never wanted that to happen." She said with contriteness, trying to placate him.

"But it did." He responded his tone somewhere between angry and melancholic.

"I'm sorry." She said softly.

He shook his head. "It's alright. You know how I feel about you. I'll never stop." He gave her a glance that was filled with hunger. Like he wanted her.

"Where are we heading for?" She asked, changing the topic. She didn't want to – couldn't – dwell on the topic that would make him want her. The mere thought of it made her stomach clench like she was cheating on someone.

She groaned inwardly. She wasn't. She did not commit. She could do anything she wanted...right?

"My cabin."

Pamela brightened at the sound of that. "I remember that place! We went there once remember? We attended a fair." She grinned.

"Of course, I remember. It's my cabin."

She laughed at his sarcastic tone and he laughed back.

"I wish we could attend a fair again." She said dreamily.

"Heavens no. Your wish is rejected."

Pamela burst out laughing, relieved he was back to his normal self. She couldn't deal with Marcel being angry and gloomy. But she could deal with a certain someone being just that. She steered her thoughts from heading in that direction.

"Why?" She asked still laughing. "It was fun."

"We danced till our feet hurt." He said. "What's fun about that?"

"No, I danced till my feet hurt. My heels were too high." She placed her hand on her mouth and giggled. "I'm sorry I tripped you."

Marcel groaned. "Don't remind me! That was my favorite shirt that was ruined."

Pamela rolled her eyes. "Aww come on Marcel, it's over two years. Besides, I fell too."

"Not into the mud. You were protected by my body and favorite shirt." He gave her a playful scowl and they both laughed.