Chapter 8

Danny sighed as he rolled out of bed. Today was his first day at Gotham Academy. Unfortunately, Danny was a year older than Dick, so they didn't have any classes together. Not to mention, Dick was apparently crazy smart, so he was in a ton of higher-level classes. Danny sighed he used to be smart, but ghost fighting tends to get in the way of studying.

Alfred drove the two of them to school and dropped them off. Before school started, Dick showed Danny where all of his classes were. Once the bell rang, he was alone.

Danny had chosen a seat in the back of the class; his main goal was not being noticed. There was a girl with blonde hair that took a seat next to him. She looked over at him. "Are you a transfer student?" he nodded. She smiled at him and held a hand out to him, "My name is Artemis."

He shook her hand, "My name's Danny."

Her eyes lit up, "Wait, are you staying with Dick Grayson?" He looked at her confused but nodded. She smiled at him, "He's a good friend of mine! He told me about you. Do you want to sit with us at lunch?"

He shrugged, "Sure."

She smiled at him again, "Good, and... well, I'm sorry..."

He nodded, "Thanks..." the bell rang again, and it was time for class to start.

~time skip~

Once it was time for lunch, Artemis showed Danny the way to the cafeteria. The two sat down at a table and a few minutes later Dick walked over with a red-haired girl. "Hey Danny, I see you met Artemis."

He nodded, "She invited me to sit with you guys. Is that okay?"

Dick laughed as he sat down, "Of course it's okay. This is Barbara." The redhead waved at him. "The three of us are the only ones who sit at this table. Frankly, it'll be nice having another guy, these two like to gang up on me." The two girls kicked him under the table, and he grunted. "See what I mean?" Danny chuckled.

Dick was happy to see that. It took a while, but the last couple of days Danny had been opening up a bit more. He still wasn't talking a lot, but he was smiling more often. So, Dick saw that as a win.

The four made small talk for a little while, Dick noticed that Danny still wasn't eating very much. Alfred had made them ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch, but he had only taken a few bites. That was one thing that hadn't gotten better, Danny's eating. Bruce told Dick that if things didn't get better soon, he was going to have a talk with Danny. It wasn't healthy.

"Looks like the nerds have a new recruit..."

Dick rolled his eyes. "What do you want Chad?"

Danny looked up and saw three guys standing over Dick.

One guy reached out and messed up Dick's hair. "We just wanted to say hello to the newbie. Although, why he would want to hang out with you losers I don't know."

Barbara rolled her eyes, "Leave Dick alone Chad."

"Make me pretty girl." He sneered, "What are you going to do, send your dad after me?"

Artemis glared at him, "Get lost Chad. Or else I'll make you leave."

"Oh, what if I do this?" he grabbed Dick's water bottle and poured it over his head.

Before anyone could react, Danny was on his feet and had pinned Chad to the wall. "Don't. Do that. Again." For a split second, Danny let his eyes turn red with rage. Danny hated bullies.

Clockwork had once told him about the idea of unfinished business. Supposedly, that's why some people become ghosts, and some people don't. Those that have business left on earth, stay as ghosts. Clockwork believed, that part of the reason Danny had only become half-ghost, was that when he died, he still had business.

When someone becomes a ghost, they become obsessed with completing their unfinished business. That aspect of their personality becomes their 'obsession'. Take the Box Ghost, for example, his obsession is obviously boxes. That's because his unfinished business must have something to do with boxes, but no ghost knows what their unfinished business is. They are left to try and figure it out on their own.

Clockwork told Danny, that he believed his obsession was protecting others. Somewhat of a hero complex. Danny wanted to protect his friends, his family, and everyone in his town from the evil ghosts that haunted it. Danny had no idea what his unfinished business was, but it had something to do with protecting people. And that meant that he hated bullies a bit more than most.

Chad looked at Danny with fear, "Get away from me you freak!" Chad pushed him away and ran away.

As he went to sit back down, the others stared at him in shock. Dick was about to say something when suddenly, Danny's ghost sense went off. He quickly scanned the room, looking for trouble. He listened very hard and finally heard it. "Bullies..." his eyes widened. What was he doing here?

He quickly stood back up, "I'll be right back..." he quickly ran off to the bathroom, leaving the others with their confusion...

(A/N - Hey guys. thanks for reading. I hope you liked it. :) Stay whelmed and go ghost!)