4.

The morning light hit her face and she opened her eyes. She looked around here surrounding and nothing seemed familiar. The sound of men shouting and metal hitting metal and horses is all she could hear.

Meera woke up in a fright and became extremely conscious of her surroundings, survival instincts were now kicking in. She scrambled around to reach for her dupatta and draped it across her torso, she was still in her clothes from three days ago since she left home.

She flung her feet down from the feather soft bed and tried to stand up but failed miserably, her throat felt like sand and her head was heavy.

She held her head with her hand as if to block the pain, but nothing was helping her pain.

She heard the flutter of the tent and the sound of footsteps approaching. She looked around frantically for a weapon to defend herself but found nothing.

"Salam Rajkumari Sahiba." Three maids stood in front of her one with food , the other with a fresh set of clothes and the third held a glass.

"Hakim Baba (doctor; father/respected old man) has sent this for you, it should help you with the headache he said." Smiling weekly at the princess and handing over the glass to her.

"Go on, drink it. It will help you."

Meera looked at the face of three strangers , the maid who handed her the glass looked like she was in her late 20's and behind her stood two girls not older than sixteen perhaps 17 who looked at her with wide eyes.

"We assure you, there is nothing in the potion which will cause you harm princess."

Meera looked at her again and her instincts, something which Meera relied on all her life gave her the green flag so she downed the bitter potion in a go.

"How rude of me, I'm Sakina and these are Hania and Abru." She smiled kindly and motioned the two to keep the food and clothes on the bed beside Meera.

"Sorry we weren't aware that you ate food without Gosht (meat), so for now we have just this to offer but I promise to get you something warmer for lunch." She smiled at her kindly.

"These are your clothes, Hania shall draw you a bath after you finish your food." Sakina said.

"Where is Kanika and my other maids ? Why are you serving me ? Where are my own helps ?"

"They are resting princess, two of your maids have fallen ill and three of your body guards as well. They have been given tents around your's and Kanika Bibi shall join you shortly."

"Thank you, you may leave I won't stall you any further." Meera said softly.

"Anything you need please let us know, Hania shall be waiting here with you and helping you out."

Meera finished her breakfast of warm milk, dates and a platter of fresh fruits which was luxury after two days of downing cold bread with water.

Hania helped her bathe and she jump into an emerald green lehenga.
She lined her eyes with Kohl and placed her bindi on her forehead.

"Mashallah." She looked into the mirror and found Hania looking at her with her mouth wide open.

"Kya hua ?" (What's wrong ) Meera asked.

"Maafi." (I apologise)

"What for ." Meera giggled looking at the terrified Hania.

"I should have kept silent."

"Well now that I know you have a tongue, you can talk to me." She smiled at the young girl through the mirror. "What were you saying."

"Forgive me Princess but the rumour around was that the princess of Bundelkhand was just like father, small eyes to a big face, with hints of facial hair and crooked teeth they said, but you, you are like an apsara (angel), very beautiful." Hania said in a dreamy voice.

Meera giggled and turned around to look at Hania who was standing at the end of her bed.
"I don't understand if I should thank you for calling me pretty or should I feel offended, you did just insult my old father." Meera said with a hint of playfulness in her voice.

"I didn't mean to offend you Rajkumari Sahiba please forgive me I'm very sorry I won't -."

Meera's full blown laughter stopped the terrified 16 year old from rumbling and she looked up from being her tear brimmed eyes to look at Meera who smiled down at her.

"Cmon, take me to the tent of my maids I need to check on them." Meera said and walked out of her tent followed hot on heels by Hania

•••

"-khand and I guess you should address our men too today, they have been marching behind you for months now a little pat on their backs will boost their morale."

"I will Tahir." Haider said massaging his temples with his fingers and he walked towards the tent.

"-allah she is so beautiful, her skin reflects light Firoza aappa (sister), her eyes are pools of honey and gold and she has the cutes little nose, I heard the Rajputana Princess looked like a Jin (devil) but she is just like the moon. Although she doesn't speak much she is -." The rant of the maid was cut short as she was nudged by the other on noticing the king and the chieftain.

"Excuse us Badesha." The other older maid said and they both pay their respect and left the tent in a haste.

"Hmm so she is quite the beauty huh ?" Tahir said with a evil smirk and picked an apple from the table to munch on.

Haider looked at him and rolled his eyes.
"Make sure everything today is perfect, I have waited for long, nothing can go wrong today Tahir, nothing should." Haider said playing his hand on Tahir's shoulder and looking him in the eye.