A New Life

And then I just stood there. My back turned towards my old home as it burned to the ground, turning my old life to ash.
I could sense the witcher's questioning stare burn into the back of my head.
"They would've done it anyway, this way, it's at least me controlling it," I shrugged. Then I turned towards him. "We should leave now. They'll come here soon to see what happened, and once the fire has died down they will look for my body. And when they can't find it they will come after us. Only the gods above know what they will do when they find me."

I knew Geralt would defend me and himself from these angry villagers, and I, too, had my powers - and sword-skills - but I didn't know how many of these people would come after us and how many of them we could defeat.

We started walking, deeper and deeper into the forest. Shortly after we had entered it, we left the road, making our way through the undergrowth. The moment we left the road the man I got to know disappeared. The gentle witcher was gone, replaced by a wary and tense version of himself. He didn't talk; only glanced at me from time to time as if to make sure I was still there. He had even strapped his sword to his back. When we left, he had it secure in Roach's saddle bag. He knew something was out here, no doubt. And he was ready to fight it once it decided to show up.

But nothing happened that day and as we were looking for a place to sleep, Geralt's gentle side reappeared; he smiled slightly every time our eyes locked, his posture wasn't as tense as the hours before, all these little things. We came to a clearing, a small river bubbling on its far side.

"Here. We'll stay here for the night," he declared while pulling the saddle off of Roach. She snorted appreciatively.

"I'll go get some wood for a fire."

"Hm. Be careful. Something is out here."

I turned to him, but kept walking, and patted the hilt of my sword. "Then it'll get a taste of this," I chuckled at him. But still, I was wary. I mean, I could sense every being in this part of the forest, but some things are resistant even to elven magic. But luckily I came across no such creature.

I collected a few twigs and branches and returned to the camp. Geralt had finished unloading Roach and was now whispering to her while stoking her soft mane. I stood there for a while, smiling to myself as I watched the two of them. How could this mountain of a man, who was trained to be a killer without mercy or regret, how could he be the gentlest person I've ever come across? I didn't know. But what I did know was that within these three days of getting to know that witcher, I had desperately fallen for him.

It wasn't long before he spotted me and waved for me to come closer. "What were you doing back there?" he asked once I was close enough for him not to yell. I shrugged. "Hmm," I hummed while pulling him down for a quick kiss, "Just wondering how a gentle soul like you can also be the most brutal fighter I've ever crossed blades with."

"Oh, but I'm not gentle," he smirked as he unsheathed his sword and walked past me to the middle of the clearing. I dropped the firewood and did the same, following him.

I stopped in a safe distance from him and we circled each other, our sword raised. "If you want to stay with me, you have to know how to defend yourself. The fight at your house was good - for a start - but you cannot expect mercy from everyone you fight. Ideally, you are the one to decide whether to choose mercy or make the kill," he explained. Then, he lunged at me. I blocked his blow and swung my blade at him, but he easily parried, charging at me once again. Every once and again he gave me little tips. For example 'don't cramp your hands too tight' or 'move your feet more'. But soon he had me stumbling over the seam of my dress. While I was laying there on the ground he was standing above me, smiling arrogantly at his victory, but still extending a hand for me to get up. I grabbed his hand, but at the same time I kicked the back of his knee. Surprised, he fell and rolled onto his back. Within seconds I was above him, straddling his waist, pulling the dagger from my belt and held it to his throat. Now I was smiling arrogantly down at him.