Chapter 1

Adalee's POV

We have had to move. Again.

This is the third time this year that we have had to move. Every single time, people found out what my dad was doing to me. My dad couldn't handle going to jail, so we left and moved to somewhere no one could find us.

This time, we moved to the coast of North Carolina. The view is beautiful from my run-down house. We are right on the waterway, looking over the water. There is a long walkway out to the water from our house with a platform for you to get closer to the water.

It's truly magnificent, but the house is lacking one thing. The comfort of safety. I never feel safe while in this house. My dad threatens me, and when he is really angry, he decides to hit me.

I'm sitting on the platform, my legs hanging in the water. The small waves from boats passing by, making the platform rock slightly.

This is the only time I can have freedom. There are no expectations of me here, I can be whoever I want. My dad doesn't expect me to cook for him and clean the whole house. There are no bruises being inflicted, breaking of bones, or bleeding.

This is where I find my peace.

Soon, it's time to head back into my house. I can only sit on the platform early in the morning and late at night. Otherwise, my dad would find out. I won't let him take away the one thing I enjoy.

It's past seven in the morning, meaning I need to cook my dad breakfast. If I miss a meal, pain is to come.

I cook him a hardy breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Grabbing a piece of bacon for me to eat, I head up to my room.

Luckily my room has a window looking over the water. I get to admire the stunning ocean and imagine what type of sea creatures are hanging out down there.

The ocean has always fascinated me, but I never got the opportunity to learn how to swim. My dad wouldn't let me go to water parks because of how much skin would be exposed. People would have seen my bruises.

Now I'm a seventeen-year-old girl who has no idea how to swim. It's embarrassing, but no one is going to find out. I don't talk to people so no one can hear about it.

I hear my dad stumble out of his room, probably hungover. He walks to the kitchen and I hear a satisfied grunt.

He's happy with me. This means I have another moment of peace.

Victoria's POV

I'm patrolling the waterways like I always do every morning and night. I like to patrol; it lets me stay in tune with my kingdom.

Noticing a girl sitting on one of the platforms on the water, I notice her blindingly white-blonde hair, and her gorgeous blue eyes, matching the deep color of the water.

I sit and admire her, getting lost in her beauty. Her plump lips and small nose look ravishing in the rising sunlight. She seems to practically glow, the sun making her skin look perfectly radiant.

Her blonde hair fall down her shoulders in waves, reaching her chest.

Snapping out of my gaze, I continue on my patrol, thinking about one alluring girl.