Act II. viii

"The Chancellor says the Jedi have tried to overthrow the Senate." Padme worried. "All the remaining ones will be hunted."

"Padme, everything will be alright." Anakin held his wife to reassure her.

"Run away with me, Anakin." She pleaded. "Help me raise our child away from here."

Not wanting to hear anymore, Xaela turned away from them and to Obi-Wan, who was already watching her. She couldn't meet his eyes, but if she could she would see that he was looking at her with the same love that she envied Anakin and Padme for.

"Next time you go to fight in a war, do you mind telling me?" She asked and he smiled.

"I'll keep that in mind." He mused, missing her scolding, and tried to kiss her forehead but Xaela took a step back and crossed her arms.

"I'm serious." She said. "Any one of the Jedi murdered could have been you or me. Could I at least get a goodbye?"

Obi-Wan saw that she meant it and sighed like always. But this time was different, she had a right to be upset.

"If all goes well, I will never have to fight in another war again." He told her. "I'll never have to say goodbye."

Xaela looked him in the eyes and saw his sincerity. She knew that they still weren't safe as long as the Chancellor was alive, and if this was her last time with Obi-Wan before either of them died, she didn't want to be upset at him. So Xaela took a step towards him, arms still crossed like a stubborn child and rested her head against his chest so he could hold her.

She felt him chuckled and wrap his arms around her. Xaela smiled and ran her hands up his chest to loop around his neck. He buried his head into her shoulder and sighed, not wanting to let her go.

They stayed like that for as long as they could.

"What did happen to Anakins hand?" His question was muffled by her shoulder.

"I sliced it off."

Obi-Wan was silent.

"I do hope you had a good reason." He said.

Xaela moved back so that he could straighten up and look her in the eyes.

"Me too." She admitted.

"Okay, you two." Anakin interrupted them. "It's time to end this war."

~*~

Padme reluctantly stayed on Coruscant, only giving in to the begging of Anakin, who knew that if she went into labour, 3PO could take her to the hospital. Everyone could see the conflict in his eyes still, he was still not sure that he would be strong enough to save her should anything happen. But Xaela was determine to make him see that he was.

As the trio landed on the Volcanic planet, Obi-Wan measured their plan of attack.

"Xaela and I will take the Trade Federation and other allies. Anakin, find Master Yoda and the Chancellor, we'll come for backup when we're finished."

Anakin nodded but Xaela saw his hesitation.

"You are strong enough." She said. "I will drill it into your brain if I have to."

Anakin simply nodded and pushed her head away.

"May the Force be with you." She said.

Obi-Wan and Xaela ran through the heat and into one of the bunkers where their intel said the targets would be.

"Do you think they're expecting Palpatine?" Xaela asked outside the door and Obi-Wan thought, looked at the brown robe he was wearing, then Xaela's black one.