He Calls

I took a half day from work. I deserved it and... fish fry.

I was getting a sprite from the vending machine when I felt a presence behind me.

"Good morning again, Mr. Thompson," Triana smiles.
"That's Leslie to you," I smile back.
The soda comes down and I stand back as Triana inserts her money.
"I wish you could tag along on the trip."
She turns to me and cheeses.
"They didn't tell you?"
"Tell me what?"
"I get my choice of which trip I want to help chaperone. So I will be tagging along."
"Ayyyee!" I cheer. "How long has this been in the making? I would think I should have been aware."
"Maybe about three weeks."
She smirks and raises her eyebrows before walking away.

I start to follow but stop when it dawns on me that I started working here three weeks ago. I chuckle then continue down the hall.

Once at my desk I started thinking about Tahj. He still hasn't gotten in contact with me. I don't know what to think at this point. It was kind of making me feel down and I didn't want to feel that way since today was the day that D and I were leaving for Section 3. At this point I take it I won't be seeing him again any time soon.

Besides that thought, last night came to mind and I almost cringed. Things have definitely made a turn. For the worse? I wasn't sure because I wasn't feeling bad about it. I wanted to hold his hand so I did. After dinner things were really awkward. At that point I had sobered up. I figured the way to avoid things was to head to sleep, so after dinner I went to my side of the bed and went to sleep. I did notice D toss and turn throughout the night. Not gonna lie it took everything in me to not touch or caress him.

Yo.

Where the fuck did that thought come from? Idly I massage my beard with thoughts of D on my mind. He was still planning on grabbing me in a couple.

I happen to glance over and notice Jackson put half a sub sandwich down beside me. I grab it and take a bite still staring at a blank Excel page.

I manage to type something up, do some part of my job.

D hasn't worn his hair in twists in a while. I wonder how often he does. I do like when his hair is wild. I remember one time catching him pick at his curls with a comb to get the full effect of his wild hair. I remember doing most of the staring at his forearms. It was something appealing and arousing about the way the muscle underneath flexed.

A knock.

I turn to the door and my heart slams into my chest.

What was that noise? Was that a harp playing?

"You ready?" D asked from the door.

I happen to glance at Jackson who was standing near by. He looked from me to D and back and forth. Jackson briefly introduced himself to D while I still sat there like the dumbass I'm turning out to be.

I didn't realize how fast time flew. It feels like I just sat down and it was still early morning.

"Enjoy the weekend," Jackson wakes me up.
He's smiling but his eyes are saying something else. I read it as a good something else.

"I'm sorry, I got caught up with work."
"Thought you had a full day for a second."
I chuckle.
"You working hard," D comments as we walk down the hall.

I remembered to acknowledge Triana on my way out. She was on the phone but waved goodbye.

It was the hottest and brightest day of them all. I could barely even see, it was blinding.

Instead of D going to his door he decides to open mines then leans on the door, turning to face me.

His hair was in twists under his backwards cap.

"Les? I think it's best if we talk about last night."

I bring my attention back to his face. His eyes were squinting at me. I decide to step closer to him.

"How about we talk about it tonight?" I allowed my fingertips to brush against the back of his hand that was resting on the door of the car.
He scratches briefly at his nose before smiling.
"Okay."
I grab his hand from the door and squeeze it at our side.

I don't know how long I was staring at him with my head tilted to the side, still holding his hand.

"You have nice eyes," he tells me. "I always thought so, just never knew how to tell you."

I smile in return, bringing his hand to my lips to peck it briefly. A look passed on his face. It was a look of mild surprise but also shyness. It looked as if he might have blushed.
But he stood up straighter, smiled and walked to the driver's side.

"Why ain't nobody tell me this shit? Where am I gonna stay at?"
"I would let you babysit my place but if I'm gonna be honest with you, KJ, I don't trust ya ass."
"I ain't about to do anything to this place."
"It's only for a weekend. You ain't got nowhere else to stay?"
"Get a hotel or motel," I suggest.
KJ did a beatbox then finished with a suck of the teeth.
"Maaaan, whatever. Just let me know when y'all get back."
"You're still going to try to stay here after we get back!?" D asks with bewilderment written all over his face and in his voice. "When the fuck are you leaving, fam?"
"I knew you would take it there, D."
KJ was acting as if he was disappointed by D.
"And why the fuck would I not, nigga? It's a legit question."
"I gave you the $300."
"And?!"

I walked away as they continued to argue. Derek was texting me back to back. I felt like I hadn't seen him in years, I couldn't wait to be back home for a short while.

I came back to D's room to make sure my duffle bags were situated and ready to be transferred to the car.

I heard feet shuffling and a groan.
"His ass gets more and more annoying the older we get," I hear D say.
"I thought you only knew him for 14 weeks," I throw over my shoulder.
D laughs.
"I wish at this point."

He flops onto the bed, face up at the ceiling. I watch him silently.

Man. Man oh man.

His shirt had ridden up to the point where I could see his happy trail and a little bit of that V in the hips.

I'm done lying to myself, done trying to play stupid. I was falling for Damario and it's weird but I genuinely like him. I don't really know what to do with these feelings though because I still think about and want Tahj, even though I haven't heard from him.

That thought brought me back to my phone and at that exact same moment my phone started ringing.

"It's him."
D sits up on his elbows and stares at me with a serious expression.
Well this is... awkward.