24 |

🖤 FOLLOW ME FOR MORE UPDATES 🖤

I hear him shouting from the outside the house, banging persistently on the door.

"Adira! Let me in!"

I shivered involuntarily at the anger radiating from him. I take the plunge and walk over to my parents' front door, hesitating over the door handle. I know once I let him in alongside everyone else in this house, my life is going to change even more drastically. My finger touches the handle lightly and I hear him pacing on the other side. Before I swing it open, I hear him almost sigh in relief as if he had expected it.

He must have smelled me coming.

I smile at the thought and swing the door open. Immediately, I am taken into Klayton's warm embrace and squished against his chest. I hug him back, hoping he can feel the bond that we both know is unfortunately no longer there. A pain we both haven't accepted fully lingers in our eyes as we look at each other. Clearing my throat, I gingerly pry his arms off my body.

As we separate, I see both of my parents and Artemis are still in the exact same position they had been 1 minute prior to Klayton entering our home. I tense up, unsure of what is to happen next.

I now know that Klayton and Artemis have a history together, and a very significant one at that. I gulp loudly and Klayton peers down at me before peering back up and locking eyes with Artemis.

She takes one step towards us before stopping. I watch with my eyebrows furrowed as she begins to take off her bow and arrow, placing it on the counter. I'm not sure if she is trying to seem less threatening or what, but she then begins to glide over to us.

I can't help but notice the way that her white hair flows along her body and pray that Klayton isn't noticing the same thing. How she is so elegantly and effortlessly stunning. I'm hoping he doesn't love how white her hair is; how it almost glows like the moon that his wolf longingly howls to every night. Hoping he prefers my blonde hair, that looks like the warmest days on the beach where you just want to sink your toes into the sand. I turn and look up towards him, worry dancing in the corners of my mind.

Will he always prefer my hazel eyes?

Without our bond, what are we?

I, in horror, watch as Artemis finally comes right up to the Klayton and I. I'm standing right beside him and can't do anything about the fact that Artemis is gazing at him as if she can't believe he's here, in front of her, in the flesh. She gingerly lifts her hands up to the side of his face and traces her pointer finger along his beautifully sculpted jaw.

It finally clicks that she was the one who designed this beautifully sculpted jaw, as fucked up as that sounds.

No, she wasn't his mother. But she is the reason he became a Lycan— the first. With this, Klayton became the best version of himself in every way.

"I've thought about you every day," Artemis whispers to him. Klayton looks slightly uncomfortable but doesn't do anything to protest or move her away, which annoys me. At this point, my parents and I are still watching and I feel like it's time to step in.

Okay, Artemis. You've had your time to shine. Time's up.

"I'm sure he's gone quite a few days without thinking of you," I say to her sweetly as I peel her venomous fingers off his face. Klayton's eyes dart to me as if he can't believe the words that just came out of my mouth.

Artemis glares her eyes at me in a small fury but quickly covers it up once Klayton looks at her again, and she's looking just as innocent and as fake as before. He then looks at me. I can tell from where he is standing he's not sure what's truly happening, or how Artemis and I kind of thrive when we sabotage one another.