Chapter Thirty-Nine | Threats

A week after the ball, Darrel was still living with her aunt, and was having tea with her in the drawing room.
    "Are you alright Dear?" Rosamund inquired, "You've seem distracted recently."
    "I'm fine," Darrel assured. "I just miss Sebastian."
    "Oh. Has he gone back to Spain?"
    "Not yet. But he's been staying with his parents so he can work with his father. Plus, he will return with Their Majesties next week."
    "Are you going to go with him?"
    Darrel shrugged.
    "What does that mean?" Rosamund asked.
    "I don't think I'll go this time," Darrel replied.
    "Why not?"
    "Sebastian's been in England for almost two months now. I'm sure he has many duties to tend to when he returns home, and I don't want to be a distraction."
    "That's ridiculous. He'll be more distracted if you're not there."
    Darrel couldn't help but blush, despite not wanting to. She attempted to hide it by refilling her teacup.
    "You should go to Spain," Rosamund advised. "After all, you will be the Queen of Spain one day, and the people had better get used to you."
    "I'll go one day, but not yet," Darrel informed.
    "Very well."
    "It will be weird once he's gone. I've gotten so used to having him around."
    "Well, you will be spending the rest of your lives together. You can survive a few months apart."
    "Yes, obviously. But Sebastian keeps me sane. Now I'll have to dine with Their Majesties all on my own."
    "Are they that bad?"
    Darrel shrugged.
    "The paper said that the king announced at the ball that he's pleased to call you his daughter," Rosamund reminded.
    "Well he's hardly going to tell the public that he hates his successor," Darrel snapped.
    "I am sure he doesn't hate you."
    "Maybe 'hate' is too strong a word. But he's not pleased with this situation; nobody is. The only positive that's come out of all this is that I can marry Sebastian."
    Rosamund smiled, "Well, at least there's something."
    Darrel nodded.

    That evening, Darrel arrived at the Palace for dinner and met her parents and brother in the drawing room. She entered and curtsied to them.
    "Your Majesties," she greeted.
    "Sit down Elizabeth," King George V ordered. "We need to talk."
    Darrel obeyed then turned to look at David, who quickly looked away.
    "What is this about sir?" Darrel asked.
    "Your living situation. I gave you your space, but you need to move back into the Palace," her father informed.
    "What? Why?"
    "Before the ball, nothing was official. But, now everybody sees you as the Princess of Wales. They cannot see you living elsewhere."
    "The Lady Rosamund is still my aunt."
    "Not anymore," Queen Mary said sharply. "You must distance yourself from the Crawleys. You are part of the Royal Family now."
    "I am part of this family," Darrel assured. "Where I live does not change that."
    "We know that. But as the princess, you must always be thinking about how your actions will look to the public."
    Darrel did not respond. She knew they were right, but she did not want to admit it.
    "I know this must be hard to hear," King George V said kindly, "but you must realize that this is for the best."
    "The best for whom?" Darrel demanded.
    "Excuse me?"
    "If you thought it would be easy for me to turn my back on my family, then you are mistaken."
    "We are your family now."
    "The Crawleys are still my family."
    "Of course they are," David nodded. "But you can't give the public anything to gossip about."
    "My existence will always be the source of gossip," Darrel snapped.
    "Yes, but if you come live at the Palace, we can put these rumours to rest," the queen reminded.
    Darrel stood up, and crossed her arms over her chest, "This is an absurd conversation. I'm going to change into my dinner dress."
    As Darrel turned to storm out of the drawing room, King George V slammed his glass onto the coffee table and stood up.
    "I have not given you permission to withdraw!" He roared.
    The princess took a deep breath but wheeled around to face him.
    "I said everything that I wanted to say," Darrel shrugged.
    "I don't think you understand how this works," King George V said. "When I tell you to do something: you will do it, no questions asked. I know that you're mad at us, and I apologize for uprooting your life. But, I am still your king. Therefore, you must respect and obey me. Is that understood?"
    "I'm sorry if I offended His Majesty. But I will not abandon the Crawleys."
    "This is a direct order."
    "They are my family!" Darrel protested.
   The king glared at her and walked over to her, until he was towering over his daughter.
    "You will never speak to me like that again," King George V warned.
    "I am sorry sir," Darrel whispered.
    "Good. Now, listen to me. The Crawleys are no longer your family, and you will no longer have anything to do with them."
    "What you're asking is impossible...sir."
    "I have ways of forcing you to stay away from them."
    A tear rolled down Darrel's cheek. David rushed to his sister's side and wrapped an arm around her.
    "Father, this must be overwhelming for her," the duke said. "Let her have the night to think about it."
    "I don't need time to think about it," Darrel retorted, as she pushed David's arm off her. "I won't abandon my family."
    King George V let out a heavy sigh, "Then you leave me no choice. I forbid you from leaving the Palace's grounds unless it's for an official appearance. Until you have seen reason, guards will be with you at all times. If you attempt to contact the Crawleys, I will have you confined to your room."
    "Father!" David exclaimed, as the king stormed out.
    "Don't pity the girl, Edward," Queen Mary of Teck ordered, "she brought this on herself."
    Their mother stood up from her seat and strutted out of the room after her husband. Darrel dissolved into tears as she fell to her knees.
    "I am so sorry Darrel," David said quietly, kneeling next to her.
    Darrel didn't reply. She stood up, wiped her tears and left the room, followed by David.
    As they entered the hall, they saw three guards waiting. Darrel didn't bother to acknowledge them as she headed upstairs to her room, followed by the guards. David approached his parents who were standing off to the side.
    "Why are you doing this?" David demanded, "Don't you think she's been through enough?"
    "This is the best for everyone," King George V assured. "She'll come around soon enough."
    David shook his head in disgust and walked off.