"Whether You Like It Or Not"

He's the thing about Ryder, he's always been our happy one. Happy, go-lucky Ryder. Always grinning, always laughing, never down for long.

"Fighting?" I question, my fists clenching around the steering wheel. "That is absolutely unacceptable." I glance at Ryder through the rear-view mirror, noticing he's not even paying attention. "Ryder!" I snap, drawing his eyes away from his window. "Please explain to my why your mother and I were called to pick you up from school. Caleb," I say, referring to my vice-presidents son. "Is going to have a black eye and I'm going to have to explain to my employee that my son is responsible." Ryder's response is to roll his eyes and I feel my blood start to boil, that is, until light pressure presses on my leg, just above my knee.

Amelia glances at me, saddness filling her eyes. I feel my fists start to relax. "This is a discussion we are having whether you like it or not."

"What's there to discuss?" He finally speaks, although still not looking at me. "I punched Caleb."

"Why?" I grit, pulling of the road and putting the truck in park. "I want to know why."

"Does it matter?" He asks, and I feel my blood pressure rise again.

"Ryder." Amelia says softly. "Your father and I"

"He's not my dad." Ryder mumbles and I jerk my entire body around in my seat, hitting the truck horn in the process.

"What?" I grit, and Amelia just gasps. "Are you being serious?!" I try, in vain, to keep from yelling.

"Ryder," Amelia unbuckles, and turns to face the back of the truck. "How could you say that? Cameron has raised you." My heart rate quickens as I get angrier. "He couldn't love you more, even if you looked like him."

Ryder's eyes start to well with tears and I frown. "How about we drop Mom off and you and I will go to the office and talk Okay? You can tell me what's going on."

Ryder loves the office. He like to sit and my desk and pretend he's the boss, and I'm proud that he wants to follow in my footsteps and takeover.

"You lied to me!" He suddenly cries and I feel my jaw physically drop. "I'm not you're son, you don't care about me like that." Large tears roll down his cheeks and I feel my chest start to cave in.

"Ryder, bud, I have never lied to you." When he keeps crying I jump out of the truck and yank his door open.

"No." He cries when I reach for him. "I hate you."

Those are words I never wanted to hear from my child and I never thought I would.

I ignore his crying and pull his fighting body to me.

A few minutes later he calms down, and I know we need to talk but I don't say anything.

I just hold my boy to me. Amelia gets out of the truck and stands behind me, her hand reaching for his head pulling us tighter.

"Ryder," She whispers, "you need to explain this to us."

"Caleb to me the truth," he sniffles, pulling away from me. "about the company."

"And what is the truth?" I question, not liking where this is headed. I never liked that spoiled brat.

"My not you real son so your not giving me any of the company. Caleb saw the copy of your will!" He shouts when I open my mouth. "His dad gets it. And if the little kids or the new baby don't want it then Caleb gets it."

"Caleb told you this?" I ask, my anger, yet again, rising.

"You told me I get it when you're too old." He accuses me with his tone. "if you really loved me like you love Theo you would let me have a part of the company too." Raw heartbreak masks his face and my jaw clenches. I make a mental note to find a new Vice President.

"I'm gonna ask you something." I say, grabbing his hand. "You're mother, does not have my blood running through her veins, does that mean I cannot love her more than life itself?"

"No." Theo frowns.

"No." I state firmly. "I fell in love with her, I signed paperwork that made her legally mine, and I'll be damned if anyone makes her feel like she's my world. The same with you, you are my son, from the minute your chubby fingers reached for me, you don't have my blood, but I've never thought that way. I adopted you, you became MY son."

He lip wobbles, and I continue. "As for the company, if I die before you graduate with your degree, Caleb's father will get the company until you graduate. If you're siblings want a part as well it will be split with you having an extra five percent, and if you are my only child that follows in my footsteps the hotels are a hundred percent yours. That is what my will says, that is what my plan has been since the moment you told me you want to be like me."

My puffy and red faced boy launches into my arms, tucking his head into the crook of my neck. "I don't hate you Dad." His voice breaks and my throat starts to ache. "I'm sorry. I believed him, and I should believe you. I know you love me."

"I do." I swallow thickly. "Hey," I pulls away from him. "Do you wanna go fire Caleb's dad?"

He grins, grabbing his seat belt. "To the office."

***
Double update. I better get comments.