Chapter Forty Two

"So, what's it like being raised here in the palace?" Blake asks as we walk out of the stables. I just shrug.

"Obviously different. I missed out on a lot of things. Millions of girls wish to be me. Or at least where I am. To be princess. They think it's a world of pretty dresses and glimmer. It's really a kingdom of isolation (And it looks like I'm the queen) and boredom. There are only so many things you can do in a palace for eighteen years. Sometimes I wish I was a normal girl," I explain. He nods and we sit on a bench near the stables where we can watch the horses and look over the garden.

"I will admit that there were plenty of times that there were plenty of times when I wished I were in a palace somewhere," he says.

"Really?" I ask. He nods. "Why?" I ask.

"I was in a military school. My parents are divorced. When he remarried his wife decided she didn't want me anymore and since my father had ownership, as I like to call it, over me, he shipped me off to make her happy. I had learned how to ride there but it was practically torture. It was even worse when I came home and didn't get drafted. My stepmonster made torture there, too," he explains.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a figure flicker. I glance over and Flynn is watching us. He doesn't bother to make a move. His eyes stare into mine when I look at him. A mixture of regret and longing flows through my veins. I force my head back towards Blake so I doesn't appear that I've lost interest in him.

"That's really bad. Why couldn't you go back to your mother?" I ask.

"My father would never allow it. It would show weakness. That's the true reason he wanted me. To show he was still dominate over my mom. I was always closer to my mom. She got my sisters, though. I'm just glad the don't have to put up with father and his wife all the time," he explains.

"I'm really sorry," I say. We stare into each other's eyes. He leans forward and suddenly his lips are planted on mine. He lips are warm and a sweet sensation rushes through me.

Still not as good as Flynn's, though.

When we pull back, I see another flicker of motion in the side of my eye. I turn my eyes over and Flynn stares directly at me. He shakes his head and turns away. As he walks back towards the palace doors, I turn my attention back to Blake.

"I'm glad I finally got to do that," Blake says. I smile and nod.

"Me too," I reply.
Another chapter, guys! Yay! I plan on finishing my other story this weekend so probably not as many updates as normal... Happy Thanksgiving, by the way! Please comment and vote!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.