Chapter 6

~~~ (5ish months after the last chapter)

Sophie's eyes snapped open. There was an odd wetness all around her in the bed. Sticky, gross liquid. She couldn't have wet the bed. She hadn't even done that when she was little. There was only one answer.

"Keefe," Sophie said, shaking her husband awake. "Keefe my water broke. The baby's coming." Keefe jerked up. His eyes were wide with panic, and he practically carried Sophie out of bed. He grabbed the crystal for the healing center he had been carrying around since he knew about the baby and held it to the light. He gently cradled her and then stepped into the light.

~~~

"Elwin! It's the baby!!!!" Keefe shouted. He had gone into full overprotective mode.

"Keefe, he's not here. It's the middle of the night. I'll hail him." Even though elves had a birthing center, Sophie preferred to have Elwin be her physician, because there was no way she was giving birth in front of a bunch of strangers. Elwin was bad enough. Her fear of all doctors except Elwin added to the decision. She pulled out her imparter. "Show me Elwin," She said. He picked up immediately, which made Sophie wonder why he was up at this hour.

"Sophie?" Elwin said, confused. "What's going on?" Keefe jammed his face into the imparter.

"Sophie's water broke, and she's in labor, and you have to come quick! She's going to have a baby!!!" Keefe was so panicked it almost made Sophie want to laugh. Della had told her a long time ago that Elvin birth was painless, but she had still been a little worried. Now she saw that she was nothing compared to Keefe.

"I'll be right there." Elwin hung up and Keefe brought Sophie over to one of the cots. She was just starting to relax when she remembered something.

"Keefe! We need to hail Edaline and Grady!" I pulled my imparted out of his hand and said, "Show me Edaline" After a few seconds Edaline's groggy face appeared on the screen. Grady was next to her, clearly confused.

"The baby's coming," Sophie said and that was all they needed to hear. They hung up and the last Sophie saw of them was them scrambling to get out of bed.

~~~

"Sophie, Keefe? Are you in here?" Elwin called. Keefe jumped up.

"We're here!" Keefe practically dragged Elwin to the cot. "Come, on! You have to help her!"

"Keefe, I'm fine. It doesn't hurt at all. I'm just a little uncomfortable."

Keefe had pulled a chair over to the cot and was now holding her hand so tightly her fingers had started to lose feeling. Elwin pulled out a few elixirs and had Sophie drink them. The first tasted like ash, the second was too sweet for its own good, but the third had a slightly citrusy taste. Suddenly, Sophie felt a strong push. The baby was coming fast.

"Those should speed up the delivery, because I doubt that Keefe will last more than an hour." They were certainly working. Sophie was worried that the baby would pop out and fly across the room.

After an hour of pushing and cringing at the scent of balms Elwin was using, the healing center was filled with the sound of crying. Edaline and Grady burst in. Elwin had been keeping them outside, but when they heard their grandchild, there was no stopping them. Elwin wiped the baby off, then handed her to Sophie.

"Hello Mommy!" The tiny girl looked up at Sophie. Sophie beamed with pride, even though she must have jumped seven feet in the air when the baby spoke. The tiny girl had bright blue eyes with flecks of gold. On her head were strands of curly-ish brown hair. Her features reminded Sophie of someone.

"Amy?" It didn't make sense. She wasn't even related to Amy, yet her daughter had Amy's hair and face. Keefe looked at her.

"Okay, she does look freakishly like your sister." Sophie laughed. She knew that naming her Amy would cause confusion, but there was something she could do.

"Keefe, can we name her May? It's the same letters as Amy but won't get confusing." Keefe nodded, thinking it over.

"May is perfect." He decided. "Hi May!" Sophie handed him his daughter and his eyes lit up. Sophie knew that their daughter was going to become Keefe's everything, along with her.

"Daddy!" May exclaimed, tugging on his hair. "I love you Daddy and Mommy!" She curled close to them.

"Mom, Dad, come here!" Sophie called Edaline and Grady over. They gasped when they saw her. "Meet May Calla Foster." Edaline's eyes filled with tears. Sophie handed Edaline her grandchild, who, after a moment, passed her on to Grady. "Eda! Pop pop!" May cooed after hearing their names.

"I think this means we have to call Grady Pop pop now!" Keefe smirked. Grady didn't care. He was too busy holding his granddaughter. Elwin had to run a few tests to make sure May was healthy, but then Sophie and Keefe were able to leap home, with Edaline and Grady insisting they go with them to make sure they were okay. Sophie climbed back into bed, cradling May in her arms.

"I love you May." she said smiling at her daughter.

"I love you too Mommy!" May giggled and fell asleep in her arm. Mommy. It felt so entirely right, even though no one had ever called her that before. Sophie Elizabeth Foster was now Mommy.

A/N

Hey! This is pretty short, but I thought it was definitely a scene I had to do! It was super sweet to write! Thanks for reading!