(XI) The Start of Something Beautiful

It has been two weeks since Emilio had a breakdown right in front of me. I'll have to say I prefer the new Emilio. He was pretty much the same Emilio- rude and narcissistic but something was different. The change wasn't noticeable if you didn't spend a lot of time around him but he was less reserved and more open to me.

He smiled way more and made sarcastic comments way less. From time to time, he would flash a radiant smile at me and I would flash one back. His smiles were warm and had a hint of gratefulness.

Our friendship was getting stronger as the days went by.

After we got of probation, he even carried me to a new restaurant that opened in town. We went to the park afterwards and he made some inside jokes about me falling out the tree the first time we went there together.

We were two completely different people with two completely different backgrounds, but here we were, as friends.

Emilio and I showed each other our hidden talents. He could move his ear and I could fold my tongue.

Our new friendship felt so surreal but I wasn't complaining. It was nice to see another side of Emilio. He was now more than that one rich kid from my class that trouble followed, he was now my friend and I hoped it stayed that way.

I walked into class, feeling a sense of happiness and satisfaction for the first time in a long time. I had just gotten off the phone with my mom and she told me she had gotten a promotion at work.

I was welcomed by the usual sight Emilio slacking off in class. Some people just never learn.

I sat in the seat beside him.

"Hello Emilio." I offered a small smile.

"Good morning sunshine. Someone's in a good mood." His reply startled me. It didn't feel real.

"I would say the same about you. Somebody pinch me, I think I'm dreaming."

"OOOOWWWW." I shouted, grabbing the attention of my classmates who quickly went back to what they were doing after a few moments of staring at me as if I had grown two heads. I was lucky the teacher wasn't here as yet.

"Emilio, what the hell?" I whispered. "Are you crazy?"

"You said somebody should pinch you. Now you know you're not  dreaming." He made a cheeky smile.

"I didn't say you should do it, it was just an expression. You have the IQ of a rock."

"Well I'm still smarter than you will ever be."

"You wish, Mr I Hack Into The School System To Change My Grades So My Parents Will Think I Am Doing Well In School."

"Well aren't you a great friend." He replied to my statement.

"Oh. So now you want to claim me as your friend. What changed?"

"I think we qualify as friends, you know, with everything that happened."

We shared a smile of understanding. That was one of those statements you understood only if you were in someone's inner circle.

Our teacher didn't show up and no substitutes were available so we spend the rest of the morning session joking around.

I found myself laughing at his jokes and smiling at the smallest things he said.

Was it weird that I felt butterflies in my stomach every time he touched me?

Was this how I was supposed to feel when a friend  touched me?