Fangs and Black Eyes

I woke up the next morning, feeling uneasy. From the even breath that sank and lifted the witcher's chest - my pillow for the night - I could tell that Geralt was still asleep. The sun hasn't started to rise yet, but it would soon. The forest was quiet. Way too quiet for this early hour. Normally the birds would be singing and chirping their little hearts out, but they didn't. The small river that ran across the clearing, which had gurgled loudly when we arrived here yesterday, was now eerily silent. Only a quiet bubbling was audible, barely loud enough even for my sharp senses. Something was out there, and it controlled this forest.

I sat up straight, breaking out of the witcher's embrace, his arm falling into the grass behind my back. This caused him to stir slightly, grunting in his sleep, but he didn't wake up. I shook his shoulder, hoping that he'd not see me as a threat and attack me if I woke him up.

"Geralt," I whisper-shouted, "wake up! Something is wrong. Come ... on... wake up."

And he finally opened his eyes, darting them around the clearing in alarm. He was looking for something.

"It's too quiet." Was all he said as he got up and put his armour back on. "Let's leave quickly."

While he was getting dressed, I packed up our stuff. Looking down at my dress when I was done I knitted my brows together. If we had to run, I'd fall over the seam again. I grabbed the dagger from my belt and cut down along the middle of the dress, extending the line of the laced up front all the way down to the seam - good thing I've chosen to wear breeches underneath. Yes, now I'd be able to run without stumbling. I looked up to see Geralt securing the last bag to Roach's saddle. We only nodded at each other and left the clearing, wary now, fingers twitching at the slightest of sounds, ready to reach for our swords.

"Were there any strange disappearances around here?" whispered the witcher after some time.

I shrugged. "Not that I know of," I whispered back, "But if there were, the villagers would have blamed me, anyway."

A shiver ran down my spine, and I had a weird feeling. "Do you also have the feeling that we're being watched?" I asked as quiet as possible.

"Hm. Something is definitely out here."

But nothing happened and until noon we just walked in silence, the rustling of the leaves underneath our feet and our steady breathing were the only sounds. I concentrated for a second, sensing for any living being around here. They were there, but they were all mute, silenced by the threat that was hanging in the air like thick fog on a cold autumn morning.

A rustling in the bushes made my ears twitch. I turned towards the noise. Nothing. Then I heard it again. From behind us this time. I glanced at Geralt. He had just drawn his sword, so I did the same. We kept walking, paying attention to every small movement.

A low growl sounded behind us and I whipped around. A hairy beast with a wolf-like head had broken from the bushes and was now running at us.

"Fuck." I heard the witcher mutter as he pushed me to stand behind him. He was reaching for the other sword - his silver one - that was still in Roach's saddle bag as the creature got dangerously close. Stepping out from behind Geralt, I held both of my hands out in front of me, thinking of a wall between the monster and us. I heard a yelp and opened my eyes. The thing had crashed into the invisible barrier and was now pacing along it.

Geralt turned to me, wide-eyed, then looked at Roach. Without explanation he lifted me by the waist to sit on the horse's back. Then he slapped her rear and she started galloping just as the barrier broke. Struggling to reach for the reins I clung on to her neck as we heard growling, howling and groaning from behind us. Roach stopped abruptly, making me lose grip and fall off her back. As I got up I looked into the direction of the fight, just in time to see the witcher stab his sword through the creature's head as it howled out in pain.

I grabbed Roach's reins and hurried back towards Geralt. This time it was me - not Roach - who stopped abruptly. The witcher's eyes were pitch black and his skin was so much paler than usual. This was the first time I've seen him - no, the first time I've seen a witcher - like that.

Seeing my hesitation he carefully reached out for me, gently whispering, "Nienna, it's me."

With a shaky breath I reached my hands up to touch his face. "What have they done to you?" I whispered as my fingers touched the cool skin of his jaw and cheek bones. He slightly nuzzled into the touch as the colour returned to his eyes and skin.

Around us, the forest came alive again; the birds started singing, the leaves were rustling peacefully, even the light seemed to be warmer, covering everything in a soft golden light.

"What was that?" I asked Geralt as we broke apart, mentioning towards the dead body on the ground.

"Don't tell me you've never heard of werewolves." He sounded surprised.

"Well, I grew up pretty sheltered from the outside-world..." I reminded him.

"Yeah, well, that was a werewolf, a born one to be exact. It's been following us since we left the road."

"I... But I couldn't sense it... why?"

"Hmm. I have no idea. But your thing with that barrier was great. Do you think you'll use more of that in battle?"

"Ugh. I don't know. My mother used to tell me to never use it to hurt somebody, but her life was so much different from how I live. I... I think I will use magic to fight," I said, nodding. It may go against everything I was taught, but it will be necessary, seeing what a close call today has been; if I hadn't put up the barrier we'd both be either dead or bleeding to death right now.

Glancing at the dead werewolf on the ground one last time, we started walking again. Soon enough I heard the rumbling of a stomach. I wasn't sure whose it was, Geralt's or mine. All I knew was that I very hungry. We both hadn't eaten much the last few days. I held out my hands and let bread appear and handed one to the witcher.

"I should have come here earlier," he chuckled, accepting the bread. We both ate and kept walking.

"This is so much better than having to hunt for food, or buy it."

"Mhh," I hummed, "I could think of a way for you to pay," I tried to sound seductive as I started running away from him.

Naturally, he was faster than me and soon had me backed up against a tree. Roach was lazily trotting after us.

"And how do you think would I pay you, huh?" he said in a low voice, grabbing my hips and pushing me back against the trunk of the tree.

I only smirked in response, grabbed his jaw and pulled him down, crashing my lips on his. He kissed back hungrily, and soon we were lost in passion, all while poor Roach had to watch.