Chapter 24

Faintly, her eyes opened.

They then wandered to see her husband Wen Ling, who was holding her hand.

It was the middle of a cold night in this ending winter. Spring was on its way and with him holding her hand, she felt warmth.

Although weak, she slipped her hand out of his and reached to touch his face as tears began to spill. Her eyes shut tightly for a moment as they trailed down her face.

"I'm so sorry," she apologized.

She knew exactly what was happening to her.

Knowing he was a heavy sleeper, she let out her deepest cries and the secret she kept.

The secret that he found out.

"I can't get better...... I've only been trying to be strong for you. I didn't want you to know that I'll soon be leaving you and our children. I'm truly sorry my dear." spilling the bitter truth.

Ju Ning then came closer to hold his hand again. The moment she collapsed, her secret was no longer able to be contained.

Fei Yang bowed, "Greetings, Your Majesty." he then went on to greet the other royal members present.

This was just a private audience between the royals and the Jin prince. Ju Ning, on the other hand, couldn't come, leaving only Wen Ling and Wen Yue.

The Crown Prince gave a light bow to him along with Wen Yue. However, she didn't spare a glance at him and just kept them to the ground. She didn't want to look anyone in the eye for fear she'd break down.

"Prince Fei Yang, I honor your noble acts you've given our kingdom. Without you, trouble would've befallen us." the king coughed harshly at the end.

His health was deteriorating.

The foreign prince simply nodded his head, "Your Majesty, there is no need for thank you's." not wanting to accept his words.

"If there's anything, what would you like me to give you? This is the most I can do for you." he gave his word.

Fei Yang went silent for a moment as his eyes then seemed to look elsewhere.

"Then.....would you give me your blessing to marry your daughter, Princess Wen Yue." this was his wish.

The Crown Prince's jaw dropped whereas Wen Yue's eyes widened. She looked to her brother whose gaze also met with hers.

They shook as though she were begging him to do something about it. She didn't want to marry nor leave her kingdom.

"Father, shouldn't we negotiate things first?" he asked trying to delay it.

Fei Yang stood in silence as he waited. He knew this was going to be painful, but he had to do it.

Wen Yue's eyes then met with his, who was already looking. Her expression became torn and water began to flood her vision.

"Ling, I believe that won't be necessary." the king denied. He turned his attention to the Jin prince then his daughter. "Fei Yang, I give you my blessing to marry my daughter, Wen Yue."

Fei Yang bowed, honoring him for his blessing. Wen Yue on the other hand, didn't seem to agree.

Abruptly, she stood from her seat on the verge of tears and left the hall. All that followed after, was just silence.

The king sighed heavily. He knew this was unfair to his daughter but he had to. He didn't know how to repay their savior.

"I'll take my leave back my room." Fei Yang bowed and left leaving the king along with the Crown Prince.