Chapter 39

Blair sat on the floor of the living room, throwing a ball across the room, watching as Popchik chased after it

Blair sat on the floor of the living room, throwing a ball across the room, watching as Popchik chased after it. It had been a full week since her encounter with Two-Face and she still wasn't completely healed, mentally or physically. Being on complete lockdown the entire time wasn't making the matter any easier. Sure, she had her friends come by day after day, but she was just itching to get back out into the world again. She had never done well being cooped up.

Popchik returned with the ball in his mouth, dropping both it and his head in her lap, refusing to move. She had been playing fetch with him for over an hour already, so she couldn't blame him for wanting a bit of rest.

Jason walked down the stairs, stopping far enough away that he could watch how she was acting without her throwing a pillow at his head. So far, she seemed as normal as could be, except for the dark marks fading from her face and the cuts that had healed over. She still had nightmares, but it was nowhere near as bad as the night she came home. Now, she would cry out but stop when he turned over and held her close.

That was the new normal for them, Jason sleeping in her room. What happened to her had rattled her so badly that she found it hard to be alone, even when she wanted to be. It wasn't all bad though, Jason had gotten her to smile for the first time in days just last night when they were watching Star Wars.

"You know, Bruce is a fucking billionaire. Why can't he make us light sabers?" He had asked it so casually, yet so passionately that Blair couldn't help but laugh. Once she started, she couldn't stop. Jason had looked at her in shock, surprised when she started to wipe away tears from how hard she was laughing. "It was a legit question, I wasn't joking."

"I know," She fanned her face, the grin remaining. "That's why it's so fucking funny."

Jason pushed the memory back in his mind as he kept his eyes on her, one of his hoodies hanging off of her body as Popchik laid his head in her lap. Clearing his throat, he finished his descent down the stairs, leaning against the banister as she looked up at him with those bright blue-green eyes, "Hey, so since you can't go on patrol for another week, I have an idea."

"Yeah?" She scratched the dog behind the ears. "What's that?"

"How about you and I go for a drive? We can take the old Mustang if you want." He shrugged like it was no big deal, when in fact, where they would be going was a huge deal. "There's something I want to show you."

"Is it a way to fight crime unnoticed by Batman?" Blair joked, letting Popchik run to jump on Jason's legs.

Jason bent down to scoop the dog in his arms as he shook his head in disbelief, "You're still healing from being fucking stabbed Blair. Twice. Chill out."