Chapter 12 - Two Sides

Sara pov:

I woke to the sound of crickets in the distance. I opened my eyes to stare at the ceiling in a daze, remaining as I was for several long minutes. Sighing deeply then, I sat up and looked around the room I was in – it was spacious and unfamiliar.

I recalled what had happened before I had fallen unconscious. My brow twitched in annoyance at both Itou san and Kazama san but I resisted from letting it make me do something reckless. I stood up and walked to the doors on the side of the room. Sliding it open, I stepped out into the hallway that had a lush green courtyard in front of it. I looked on either side of the hallway and spotted no one. I picked a random side and began walking, hoping to find an exit. Once out of this compound, I would have to find the Shinsengumi's headquarters.

I gazed around as I walked instead of looking ahead. It wasn't the best idea because I stumbled back after bumping into someone when I took a turn in the hallway. I wasn't allowed to fall back or even step away enough before an arm slithered its way around my waist to hold me flush against the person I had bumped into. Gazing up, I met Kazama san's scarlet eyes and I frowned.

"Would you let go of me, please?" I asked with noticeable displeasure. I didn't bother struggling because he had proven that he was stronger than me and my attempts to break free from his hold would be futile.

"What if I don't feel like it?" he teased, smirking wide.

I clenched my jaw with a deep inhale to keep my composure, "Look, I don't like you holding me like this and I have to get back to the Shinsengumi. So, I'm asking you nicely – please let me go."

"I'm not going to let you return to the Shinsengumi. You will be coming with me to the west as my mate."

"Why are you so intent on making me your mate? Can't you find someone else to bother besides me and Chizuru?" I said, exasperated.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you but no, I cannot find anyone else who is worthy to be my mate. Pureblood female Oni are very rare these days and I find you to be the most suitable in terms of appearance, personality and physical strength," he said, calmly. He cupped my face and looked over my features silently before running his thumb over my lips. He gazed at my lips and leaned down to kiss me but I blocked him with my hand.

He maintained unblinking eye contact with me as he let his lips linger on my palm for a few seconds before he moved away. Smirking once again, he said, "I suppose I can suffice with that for now."

"I'm glad," I said, sarcasm dripping off my voice. "Can you let me go now at least? And perhaps give me something to eat? I'm really hungry."

"Of course," he said with a light chuckle. He was cautious though and took a hold of my hand to pull me behind him to another room where his two comrades were chatting. While Shiranui san smirked looking at me, Amagiri san gave me a chaste bow with his head.

Having summoned a maid, he ordered her to bring me food and then sat down next to the window. Much to my dismay, he tugged me down with a force I couldn't resist to fall onto him, my face against his chest and his arm resting on my lower back. Flustered and surprised, I was quick to push away from him and fall onto my rear in front of him.

"What the heck was that for?!" I hollered but he only chuckled.

"Is it wrong for me to wish to be close and playful with my mate?"

"First of all, I haven't agreed to be your mate. Secondly, I don't want to be close or playful with you," I said curtly.

"So harsh," he responded in amuse.

He took a hold of my wrist and tugged me forward again. But this time, I was turned around and made to land with my back against his chest. He wrapped an arm around my middle to prevent me from getting up from his lap and no amount of prying his hand made it budge in the slightest. With all of my attempts of getting him off me in vain, I finally gave up and leaned back against him with my arms folded, glaring out of the window.