06

The reason he has not taken any extreme steps, was the person in front him. His  family by blood. 

"A-Zhan it's delicious! You truly inherited Jie's taste." Song Jiyang happily munched the feast that was presented before him. Xiao Zhan was very good cook. When they were kids, Xiao Zhan would help in the kitchen while Song Jiyang would help with the cleaning. Later when Xiao Zhan was adopted by the Jiangs, he would help out in  the kitchen with Xuan Lu so, it was natural he had really great taste in his hands. 

Had he ever used it for himself though?

"I even got the dessert." Xiao Zhan said proudly with his raised shoulder. 

"Aiyo! Where would I fit all of that?" Song Jiyang whined and they both laughed. 

These were the times when Xiao Zhan  laughed genuinely. He had stopped living. It was as if he was stuck in the endless cycle of misery. With each passing day making his body numb. Waiting for it to decay and perish, he wouldn't even feel if a knife were to stab him that's how much his emotions had died.

Every time Song Jiyang got the shortest spare time, he would flee to meet his nephew. That's how much of love they shared. But where does that love go when they can't even share their tortured hearts? They both knew each others misery but never brought it up. It was precisely because they loved each other that they wanted all the sadness to suppress under their laughter. 

"You should have  brought XuanXuan with you." Xiao Zhan complained when he served the icy desert to the table, She would have loved it. Chen Zhuo Xuan was Song Jiyan's biological daughter with Li Bowen through Insemination. She was 10 years old and by relationship, Xiao Zhan's cousin. The two of them got along well. Could hearts stay connected when distance push you away? 

"If she could she would have skipped the finals just to meet you." They both chuckled, imagining how she was perfectly capable of doing so.

Song Jiyang's company brought oxygen to Xiao Zhan. He was the only person who knew the world they shared. He was the one who had witnessed everything he had witnessed, who had suffered everything he had suffered and who had died when he had died. But the former had slowly began to move on, he didn't left him behind but Xiao Zhan knew better than to be a burden to his uncle's  happiness.  

Their laughter had slithered the silence away and the broad room felt lively for once. But all good things must come to an end. Song Jiyang's phone started to ring and it was their queue to part ways. 

"Next time, I'm dragging you back home." Song Jiyang hugged his nephew and bid farewell. 

Home. What a beautiful world that is. But the home Xiao Zhan knew was surge of impure thoughts resting in his mind. Once the door closed everything was grey again.

Whenever he met Song Jiyang, he had the desire to get better, to move on. But that spark would die before he could do anything. He would wonder what was even wrong with him in the first place. All he knew that he was ready to meet his family in heavens anytime.

Xiao Zhan put the leftover food he had prepared into the fridge and we was more than aware that it was going to stay there until it rot. After cleaning up, he slumped into his sofa and begun to watch TV. 

He pressed the buttons on the remote idly, not caring what was playing. He pressed and pressed and pressed but it was the same thing, the same drama, the same insanity of the world. You could call him heartless for not sympathizing with the world. But who was he to sympathize? He was nobody among the groups of somebodies. 

After wasting an hour or so on meaningless display, he dragged his feet on to his bed. He checked his phone  out of habit and found many missed calls from several people. Few from colleagues, few from family but the one stood out. 

Xiao Zhan immediately got up and dialed the number as he put the phone to his ear. The bell rang several times before the other person picked up. 

"A-Zhan!" the other person said beaming. 

Suddenly, Xiao Zhan lost the ability to speak. He swallowed the lump that formed in his throat and with broken voice he replied.

"U-Uncle Jian." 

. . .

His eyes grew wide when he saw the person, he thought who never would walk inside. It took him a whole minute to broke out of his thoughts. Doctor Meng didn't inform about him. Zheng Fanxing didn't let him know beforehand. Why he was suddenly here? 

"Hello" Xiao Zhan managed to mutter, his face low. Not looking up.

"H-hello Mr. Zhan." The Doctor manged to say.

"I'm sorry about the other day." Xiao Zhan said pressing his fingers. He wasn't capable of feeling anything but that didn't even he was plain rude.

"I'm really glad that you came Mr. Zhan." He said feeling genuinely happy.

Was he (XZ) happy though? Xiao Zhan didn't say anything nor did he move his gaze from the ground. He had developed the habit of not looking at people, afraid of seeing someone he didn't wish to see.

He decided to ask,

"Mr. Zhan, do you want to get better? " again there was no response. 

"Mr.Zhan, you can trust me." he reassured and Xiao Zhan's eyes widened but he didn't move. 

After what felt like an eternity, Xiao Zhan decided to speak, probably collecting his thoughts. Xiao Zhan took a deep breath and continued,

"Dr. Liu? was it? "  

The other man was reluctant before he hummed in agreement. Great start of the trust he inwardly cursed.

"I don't know what I really want to be fair. But I do know that I can't hurt my Uncle and Shijie like this." 

He studied Xiao Zhan's expression carefully, looking for answers in his vague words. But he almost froze when those deep eyes suddenly pierced right through his. Even though it was for a brief moment but the guilt in his heart reached to sky when those emotions in his (XZ) eyes penetrated into him.

"Can you fix me?" 

-----------------------------------------------

Sorry for Errors and thank you for reading.

Song Jiyang - Xiao Xingchen

Chen Zhuo Xuan - A Qing/ A Jing 

Li Bowen - Song Lan