Chapter 31

I quickly noticed a pattern to each dress Madeline tried on at the boutique.

While very pretty, each dress was very revealing of her—albeit ample—chest.

"What about this one?" she asked me, wearing a sexy blue dress with a large cut down the middle.

"It's pretty," I admitted. "However..."

"However what?" she asked me.

I wasn't sure how to broach the subject. "Well," I started. "I just noticed that all the dresses you're trying on are rather revealing. I mean, I understand you have great assets and all, but I just wanted to ask if there was a particular reason for this."

Madeline didn't say anything for a moment. "Well, I want to impress him, don't I?" she finally said, looking herself over in the mirror. "Coleman always liked it when—"

"Madeline," I interrupted her. "With the right guy, you don't have to show it all off. He shouldn't just lust after you, you know? With the right guy, it won't matter if you wear some high-collared dress with sleeves that reach the wrists and a skirt that hits your ankles. Of course, there's nothing wrong with wearing nice clothes and trying to look pretty, but you don't have to show yourself off like this to Roiben."

She didn't say anything.

"If Roiben only likes you because of your boobs, then you don't need someone like him anyways."

Madeline tucked a part of her hair behind her ear as she looked down at the bottom of her blue dress. "I don't know," she said quietly, and once again my heart broke for her.

"Men are carnal animals," I said. "It's the sad truth. And if you treat yourself like an object, then they'll treat you that way in return. You're worth much more than that. You're much more than your pretty figure." What I didn't tell her was the Prince Coleman had liked me when I'd never worn anything revealing around him. Perhaps because I had respected myself, he had respected me in return.

Madeline didn't say much in response to my mini speech, but she eventually settled on a red dress with a neckline that hit at her collarbone. She also bought me a new black purse, telling me my old one I was carrying around was pathetic. We dissected her phone conversation with Roiben and talked about fashion. We took some pictures together that Madeline told me were acceptable to post on my Instagram. I posted one picture of us that Maddie's driver took of us carrying nice shopping bags outside of some store way too expensive for my budget of like $40 crona. Madeline told me to tag her and the store and that there was no need for a caption.

On the car ride back together, Madeline turned to me and said, "So, I hear you have a boyfriend?"

I smiled. "Yeah, I do."

"Well, then? Who is he?"

I glanced at the driver, and figured she would probably not be a great liability.

"Well, you promise you won't tell anyone?" I asked.

She rose an eyebrow. "Is it really that scandalous?"

"It's not scandalous," I said. "He just—we just decided it would be better if Prince Coleman didn't find out."

She looked intrigued. "Okay, I won't tell. Who is it?"

I released a sigh of bliss. I really wanted to talk about Luke, anyways. "So Coleman's butler, Lucas Prescott..."

"You're dating him?" Madeline asked me with a smile.

I beamed. "Yes."

"He's cute!" Madeline said. "I mean, I never would have gone for him myself since he's a servant, but I didn't notice he was quite good-looking."

"He's so handsome," I sighed. "And he's so nice and fun and I just really like him."

"And he's a good singer too, is he not?" Madeline added in.

"Yes," I said, a bit surprised. "How did you know?"

"I think he preformed at one of Princess Calista's parties a while back," she answered. "Lucille went to that party and was gushing about the butler for a while. I think the poor dear was a bit smitten with him."

I laughed. "Oh yes, I was there for that party. All the young girls looked quite starry eyed."

"I'm happy for you," Madeline said. "Of course, it's unfortunate that he's just a servant."

"Well, I'm just a servant," I said.

"True," she sighed. "But, when you two break up I can try my best to set you up with some more eligible bachelors."

"We'll see," I said half-heartedly, suddenly feeling sad for Luke. Though, I guess it didn't really matter because he didn't need to know. It didn't matter that he wasn't a Lord or whatever, because I liked him. Servant or no.

On Sunday while I sat on my bed watching "Gilmore Girls" on my phone, I received a call from a number I didn't recognize

On Sunday while I sat on my bed watching "Gilmore Girls" on my phone, I received a call from a number I didn't recognize. I tried to make the call go away so I could resume my show, but it wouldn't let me leave that easily. I sighed and answered.

"Hello?" I asked.

"So," the voice on the other end of the line responded. "I got a call from a good friend of mine this weekend. Lord Roiben, you remember him?"

"Mercucio?" I asked.

"Of course!" the cheery voice said. "Who else?"

"Sorry, I didn't have your number before. I just gave you mine."

"I see," Merc said. "Well, can you imagine what Roiben was calling about?"

This felt like a trap. "No...?" I said.

"Apparently, Madeline asked him to dinner. And she posed that they go to a romantic restaurant, said 'it's a date' at the end of their conversation, and seemed quite nervous."

"Wow!" I pretended to be surprised. "Really? Who'd have thought."

"Yes, who'd have thought," he lilted. "So, of course, I had to call Maddie to see what she had to say. I mean, as far as I knew she was still very sweet on Coleman."

He called Madeline? I thought. "Right," I said.

"And guess who was there with Madeline and guess who gave her the idea that Roiben liked her?"