Chapter 40

"Something I need to know about you?" he asked.

I took a deep breath, and explained to him how I made a promise to myself many years ago that I wouldn't have sex with anyone until after I was married, and how it wasn't anything personal at all, but that that was the deal I made with myself. When I told him and brought myself to look into his eyes, there was nothing but sweetness and tenderness there. He kissed the top of my head and thanked me for telling him.

He opened up his present, which was simply a set of guitar picks. The evening I could tell was coming to a close after that, and Luke thanked me for planning this whole mini party for the two of us.

"Thank you, Cassie," he said. "This was perfect. It really cheered me up."

"Cheered you up?" I asked.

He smiled sadly. "I just got into an argument with my Dad right before he left," he admitted. "Partly why I wanted to leave, I guess. I'm annoyed with him but also annoyed with myself. I feel like I revert to an angsty teenage boy when I'm around him, but I'm 23 years old now."

"I'm sorry it's so hard," I said, not knowing what else I could say. I didn't have any sort of Daddy-issues and didn't know how to relate, though I could imagine how frustrating his dynamic with his dad could be. "I hope things get better."

"Maybe," Luke shrugged. "But I don't know if I want things to get better."

"I get that," I said. "But...I don't know, I guess. Maybe your dad just needs to get to know you better. I mean, how could he not love you?"

Luke smiled lightly. "Thanks, Cass."

"Tonight it's my turn the pick the movie," Luke said the following day at breakfast

"Actually," I said. "Well, I'm going to a party tonight. But I promise it's not because you're picking out the movie! You'll still pick it when we watch a movie next."

"A party?"

"Yes. It's being hosted by Lord Roiben, but Lady Madeline wants me to come."

"Oh." Luke poked at his food. "How exactly did you and Lady Rylin become so chummy?"

"It's kind of complicated," I admitted. "But, I think I should go. Besides, as Prince Nikolas always tells me, it's good to network!"

"...right."