Chapter 42

He furrowed his eyebrows. "What?" If nothing else, he seemed genuinely surprised, but that wasn't enough to cool my fury.

My laugh was short and cold. "Yeah. That 'lady-friend' of yours used Luke to get close to you. She dated him and acted all in-love with him and then cheated on him with you. And if you think that that didn't hurt Luke then you'd be wrong, Coleman. And then you two have the audacity to make him trail behind you two on your date and carry all the crap you bought her. I mean, that is cruel. So yeah. It was a freaking stunt. But the look on Marstella's face?" I smiled wickedly. "That was worth it."

Coleman didn't say anything for a second. "Why didn't you tell me you were dating Lucas?" he then asked, redirecting the conversation.

"Because of this!" I cried, point at him with my hands for emphasis. "Because you come barging to my room at night and acting completely unpredictably." I looked down the thankfully empty hallway. "And anyone could be here at any second!"

"Well if you'd just let me into your room we wouldn't have to worry about that, now would we?"

"You can't come in my room and the fact that you can't understand why is very concerning."

Coleman shook his head. "I mean, gosh, Cassie? What are you doing dating a guy like him, anyways?"

"What do you mean, a 'guy like him'?" I spat. "Luke is great!"

"Yeah, great at like, I don't know, scheduling or something. The guy is as bland as they come, Cassie."

"That's not true," I snapped. "You don't even know him, Coleman. He's so sweet and charming and funny!"

"Oh please," he sneered.

"I'm sorry," I said. "But how in the world is this any of your business, anyways?"

"Well, you two are my servants, after all!"

"Clearly our relationship hasn't affected you thus far, since we've been dating for a month under your nose. Look, this really doesn't concern you. Remember, Coleman? You don't get to be concerned about this kind of thing anymore?"

"You know, if you were going to immediately jump into a relationship, did it really need to be Lucas of all people?"

"So that's what this is about, really?" I asked. "You just 'don't see me and Luke together'? Hmm, then who should I date, Coleman, since apparently you think you have a say in my love life. Should I try for Prince Nikolas?"

"That's not funny," he snapped.

"What about Lord Harry!"

"Lord—are you kidding me?" he gaped.

"Or there's Mercucio, or Lord Oliver, or—"

"Honestly, you're being ridiculous!" Coleman cried. "You have no chemistry with any of those guys."

"Really? Well I sure had chemistry with Luke when we would kiss while you weren't looking."

"What the h—"

A click from down the hall got our attention, and Coleman and I snapped our heads to the sound to see a couple of maids with their heeled shoes in hand staring at us from around the corner, their eyes wide. One of them was Sherry and the other was a girl named Mindy. Coleman's face instantly turned beet red, and I could feel my own cheeks rising with head and my heart dropping to my stomach.

"Just leave already," I said to Coleman. "I told you people would come."

Perhaps it had finally dawned on the Prince how ridiculous he had been acting, because he sure looked embarrassed as he sped-walk away from the hall.

Sherry and Mindy's mouths were wide open.

"Cassie..." Sherry started.

"How long were you standing there?" I asked.

"Um, he asked you why you were dating a guy like Mister Lucas," she peeped.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed.

"Prince Coleman seems really jealous!" Sherry cried.

"I think he likes you!" Mindy added.

"He doesn't like me!" I snapped. "He's just—he's just stupid, okay? And—and he drunk, too. I think he's just annoyed because I embarrassed him earlier. Okay? He doesn't—he doesn't like me."

"What did he mean when he said 'immediately jumping into a relationship.' Immediately after what?" Sherry questioned.

"I—I don't know! I guess, I mean, I don't know!" I stammered.

I hate you, Coleman. I hate you I really hate—

"I can't believe he came to see you in the first place!" Mindy cried.

"He was right here," Sherry said. "In our very hall."

"What's going on?" a new, third party voice asked. Lucas Prescott has entered the chat, everybody! Can somebody just kill me now? Luke was looking back and forth between me and the other two maids.

"Mister Lucas!" Sherry's eyes went wide.

"Prince Coleman was just here!" Mindy told him.

I scrunched up my face and buried it in my hands. No, no, no.

"Prince Coleman?" Luke repeated, sounding annoyed but not too surprised.

"Yes!" Mindy said.

"But Cassie defended you!" Sherry butt in.

"Yeah, she did!" Mindy said. "She said you were great!"

"And told the Prince that your relationship isn't any of his business!"

I parted my fingers so that my right eyeball could sneak a peek at Luke just as he was turning to look at me with a very irritated expression.

"Cassie," he did not sound pleased. "A word?"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.