Chapter 56

"That's not true!" I shot back.

"Then what is all this even for?" he asked. "Are you going to be Calista's lady in waiting forever? Are you just going to go to these little parties of yours forever? The only way you keep up this kind of life is if you marry into it and you know it."

"I'm not angling for a husband," I said. "If I was, I wouldn't be dating you. Because trust me, if I wanted to I could date some of these noble guys but I don't because I'm dating you."

"Well that's such a comfort," he drawled. "To know that there are guys lined up to date you."

"That's an exaggeration," I said. "And that's partly why I've been looking forward to us going to the debutante ball together! I want people to meet you, to see that you're a real person!"

"You know why I don't seem real to them?" he asked. "Because I'm not a rich noble like them. They see me as a nobody."

"You aren't a nobody!"

"Well do any of them believe that? No. You want to keep being friends with these people? You want to stay in this inner circle, you want to keep Queen Klara's favor? Well you know that to keep that it doesn't end with you and me together. You have to make an advantageous marriage to solidify this social standing you so love! And in your heart you know it."

"Are you trying to break up with me?" I asked. "Over nothing?"

"I don't want to break up with you, but this path you're going down—it's one that I can't follow."

"You act as though I'm going to the dark side! And I told you I'm not trying to get married. I'm just taking advantage of the appointment to Queen Maiden, which had nothing to do with marriage!"

"Nothing to do with marriage!" he guffawed. "You know, everyone is just so baffled by Queen Klara's actions! They can't seem to fathom why she favors you. Why am I the only one who sees it?!"  

"Sees what?!"

"She's grooming you to be a wife, Cassie!" he laughed coldly. "And probably Coleman's wife!"

His accusation felt like someone had pushed me into an icy river. "That's ridiculous," I half whispered. "Why would she want someone like me to be with her son?"

"She's desperate!" Luke cried. "She wants Coleman tied down with somebody, don't you see? And at this point it could be a maid!"

"You are paranoid!" I shot. "You are so insecure about Coleman and I'm sick of it! Everything revolves around him! You just can't get over it, and yet you work for him. You're just going to sit around and be his butler, and when I offer you an opportunity that could lead to something more, you spit it back at my face. Somehow, like everything does with you, it all leads back to Coleman!" I marched to his door and swung it open, ready to storm out. "I'm tired of it, Luke! Get over it, already!" With that, I slammed his door.