Chapter 75

The next few days were particularly hard. I knew that it was the right decision to break up, to go our separate ways, but it was quite lonely. I had to remind myself of what was hard, of what hadn't worked, because it was hard to resist the impulse to text Luke, to call him, to see how he was doing. The castle itself was full of memories of him and of the things we'd done.

Fortunately, I was about to head to Nikoto for a couple of weeks before the Winter Ball, and I was starting to get excited for it. I was looking forward to taking a break from Aregano and just from everything. I just wanted to go into Nikoto and enjoy a clean slate—fresh as the falling winter snow, which I was told there would be a lot of in Nikoto.

The day before I was to leave for Nikoto, Missus Alexandria came to my room requesting that I come with her to meet Queen Klara.

What does she want? I wondered. To my surprise, Missus Alexandria did not lead me to the Queen's room, but down several flights to a large nearly empty room that I had never been in before. Fresh window light flooded into the rooms from the tall windows on the sides that were framed with white pillars, gold leafing snaking up said pillars and touching the ceiling, all the different gold strands weaving together to create an ornate picture. Directly across from the double doors leading into the room sat two identical red-leather thrones; Queen Klara was perched on the left seat wearing a scarlet gown, and I noticed on the side of the room to the Queen's right stood Prince Coleman.

"Your Majesty," I bowed upon seeing her.

"Come closer," the Queen's voice echoed from across the hall. I obeyed her commands and my heels clicked at I crossed the flooring until I stood a couple of yards away. "Cassie," she said with a comforting smile. "I'm about to receive a visitor with a petition. I thought it might be an educational experience for you to come and witness—for both you and Coleman. You learn about politics in the classes I've put you in, but I thought it might be beneficial for you to see a demonstration up close."

"Oh, that sounds great," I said. I wondered if it was like one of those things where people from the country could come in with their complaints for the King or Queen and they would try to solve people's problems. I eagerly walked over and took my place next to Coleman, at that moment, the doors to the throne room opened, and Missus Alexandria stepped in.

"Announcing the arrival of His Royal Majesty, King Diego of New Spain!" she announced.

King Diego? I thought. I hadn't expected this. Why would he be here?

A short, portly man with a red face and greying copper hair walked in wearing a white dress shirt under a gold stash that was just a bit too tight for him.

"King Diego," Queen Klara wore a smile. "Welcome to Aregano."

"Coleman," I whispered. "Why is King Diego here?"

"Beats me," he whispered back.

"Yes," King Diego's had a Spanish accent, and smile was strained as he approached the throne. "Um, I thank you for the flight you provided."

"Of course," Queen Klara said. "We are allies, are we not?"

"Yes, indeed we are," King Diego nodded, wringing his hands. "However, I am afraid that I am not here on vacation."

"Of course you aren't," the Queen said, poised and cool.

"Queen Klara," he started. "Is your husband here?"

"He'll be with us soon enough," she said. "But you may begin whatever query you have now."

"It's just, I think I need to talk with him," he said.

"It's about our financial support, is it not?" Queen Klara rose an eyebrow. "Because I am the one that suggested that budget cut."

Budget cut? I wondered.

King Diego's eyes widened. "Oh. I see. Well, it's just, you suddenly stopped providing any financial support for us over a month ago now, and, you see, we really did appreciate all the help that you have provided us. I thought that perhaps you had accidentally missed a pay period, but then you didn't pay the next month either."

"Indeed," Queen Klara said.

A month and a half ago? I wondered. So, what, mid-December?

"I have to ask," King Diego said. "Why you would do such a thing, your majesty? You see, I don't know what we could have done to upset you."

Queen Klara no longer wore her warm smile, and her eyes looked sharp and dangerous. "King Diego," she began. "I do my best to strive for diplomacy. Aregano has been very friendly with most members of the collegiate since Collin's reign, have we not? We have been very generous in our charity to Nueva Espana, no?"

"You have," King Diego nodded. "But...but why have you stopped?"

"I want to be very clear," she said. "I do care. I care about the poor people in your country, but I don't care enough to sacrifice the needs of my own country and family. I have been very clear for years that I intend for my daughter to marry Prince Nikolas of Nikoto. I have been blatantly clear. It is my wish along with his parents' wish. So, imagine my shock when I find your daughter on the arm of Prince Nikolas at Calista's debutante ball, of all the events!"

King Diego's eyes were wide. "That?" 

"Did you really think I would be insulted?" Queen Klara pressed. "That ball was for my daughter, and we invited your family to be cordial, but instead you spit upon our faces by allowing your daughter to traipse around with Prince Nikolas."

"Queen Klara!" Diego cried. "I—I understand that you were offended, and for that I apologize. It's just...Prince Nikolas initiated it. If he wants to marry Esmerelda over your daughter, well, that's that."

Queen Klara said nothing, but her gaze was enough to freeze the air on a midsummer's day.

"Um," King Diego was sweating. "I just, I came to ask if you could find it in your heart to continue providing funds for my country. Please? I'm begging you."

She took a deep breath. "My terms are simple. Terminate the relationship between your daughter and Prince Nikolas, and you'll receive our monthly donation once again."

"But—" he looked flabbergasted. "But I can't do that! If Esmerelda marries Nikolas, it would be very good for our country."

"Fine. Then don't expect to have any Areganan funds to put towards their wedding," she snarled.

King Diego clenched his fists, and his face turned even redder. "You! You are a conniving, hellish woman!" he cried. "You make your budget cuts on your petty schemes. You are no Queen!"

A voice came from theback of the room, a deep, threatening voice that cut through to the heart."That is no way to talk to my wife."