Part 25

I woke up alone in Silas bed. At first I was surprised that I had woken at all. My body ached and my head throbbed painfully but there was something off about the pain. It didn't match with how alert and alive I felt.

I sat up slowly. The room tilted and swayed but after a moment everything stayed in place. I moved to my feet just as slowly. The room stayed steady and I carefully began making my way out of the room and down stairs.

"Rylan?!" Emily sounded as surprised as I'd felt upon waking. She abandoned the knife and vegetables on the cutting board and turned all of her focus to me.

Aaron and Matthew looked up at from their seat at the counter. Each of them had their mouths slightly open and their brows knitted together. Surprise and concern. I didn't have the patience for either.

"You shouldn't be up yet." Emily said.

'Did they take her?' I asked. The empty high chair and silent house was enough of an answer on it's own but I needed to hear it. I needed to know that after everything Drake had taken Amelia away from her home anyway.

"Silas will get her back." Emily said firmly. Her voice held so much belief and reassurance that I was almost tempted to believe her. Unfortunately, her words were confirmation of my worst fears. Not only was Amelia gone but Silas too.

"You should sit down." Matthew said offering his stool at the counter to me. I shook my head. There was no time for sitting. I needed to do something. I needed to find a way to help Silas find our daughter. I needed more information.

'How long?' I asked.

They all exchanged glances. Aaron and Matthew looked like they didn't want to answer at all.

"Two days." Emily said.

Two days. If Silas had a two-day head start there was no way I would be able to catch him. My head throbbed harder as I tried to think of something I could do. The room began tilting and twisting. I steadied myself with one hand on the counter.

"Ry please sit down." Aaron said standing up as well now. He positioned himself strategically closer with one arm out toward me. I recognized the positioning. He was concerned that I was going to faint.

'I'm fine.' I signed shaking my head. Just because I was a little dizzy and achy didn't mean that I was useless. Matthew and Aaron exchanged a concerned look but neither chose to argue.

'Has he checked in?' I asked turning the conversation back to Emily since she was the only one that would answer my questions.

Emily shook her head no.

'Do we know where he went?' I asked.

Emily looked at Aaron and then Matthew. Each of them gave a small head shake. Despite their reluctance to tell me anything I could tell that they truly did not know where Silas had gone.

"He wanted to be here, I'm sure, Ry he just..." Emily shook her head.

I shook mine as well.

'No, I get it. I'm glad he didn't wait...' A wave of pain and fatigue washed over me cutting off my sentence. My legs gave out. Aaron caught me and sank down to the floor with me.

"Damn it Rylan." He hissed.

Matthew and Emily swarmed closer. Matthew's hand automatically went to my wrist to check my pulse and Emily hovered uncertain of exactly what to do.

"Is this because of the mark?" Emily asked.

"The marks set." Matthew shook his head.

"So..." Emily started. Her eyes widened suddenly and shot to Aarons.