Stranger - Ross

Work had slowed over the winter months, so it had been a case of taking photographs as a hobby instead of for being payed for now.

Through the summer people were contacting you left right and centre to take pictures of their weddings, parties, or whatever they felt like, but as the grey English weather took the sun's place, no one was bothered.

It happened every year, though. You expected it - you had been doing the job for nearly 4 years, each year the same. However you felt just as inspired and passionate about photography as you had at 19, you always had a camera in hand in case you spotted anything you wanted to showcase.

It was a usual busy day in London, where you were based. Work had slowed to nearly nothing so you took up a job with your mum, taking a series of photographs for her local magazine. It was midday, the sky was grey as normal and people were bustling past left right and centre. It was easy to be consumed in the thousands of people that occupied the capital, but the busyness is what excited you.

You had been set a mission to capture the movement of people, so a day like today was perfect. You set up base at the corner of a busy street, and began to snap pictures of the hustle and bustle that was deemed normal for a place like this. A wave of colour passed you quickly, then again, as you saw hundreds of people with coloured signs and bright colours parade the street. The protest was the perfect photo opportunity for you as the epitome of movement and colour.

As the picture focused perfectly you went to click the button as your camera was swiftly knocked out of your hand. You heard a painful sound as the battery and SD card spilled onto the floor, as well as something cracking.

Reaching down to pick up your things, you hands met another pair. They were warm, somewhat clammy, as they rushed to grab all the things they presumably had knocked out of your hands previously.

'I am.. so so sorry.' A deep voice came from above you.

Looking up to the man who had broken your camera, you were met with a pleasant surprise. He was older than you, around 30, with a dark beard and hair to match. His eyes were enticing, despite looking at you in a very apologetic way. His outfit was scruffy, he must've been in a hurry.

'It's okay, I think it might still work.' You replied.

He smiled warmly as he handed back the bits that had fallen out. The camera lit up as you put them all back in their place and you gave him a smile to assure him that he hadn't broken it.

'Don't worry, all good. You can go back to whatever you were rushing for.' You smiled as you began to pack up your things, slightly annoyed to have missed the protest.

'I actually wasn't trying to get anywhere in particular, just needed some time alone. I spend my life with the same people 24/7, who I love, but it's just nice to get some time by myself'. He said with a small smile. 'Are you sure your camera is okay though?'

'You're in the clear.' You laughed as you stepped away slowly, you needed to get back to edit as the photos were needed in the next couple of days and you didn't have much to work with.

'Wait.' He called from behind you. 'Could I get you like a coffee or a drink just to say sorry?'

'I thought you wanted some alone time!' You joked, turning back towards him. 'But sure!'

He had taken you to a quiet, independent coffee shop, tucked away in one of the busy streets near Shoreditch. Although small, it was exciting and quite quirky, a perfect place to take some pictures.

'I get the feeling you like to be in the background of situations.' You said quite openly to the boy you had let take you to a place you'd never been.