𝐕

EVEN though they were going to the same location, and even though they were currently staring at one another from where they stood in the student parking lot, Harry boarded the city bus as Bree revved the engine on her near-ancient truck.

It was obvious to Bree that she was going to arrive at the Styles home long before Harry did, so she made a pit stop for a fruit smoothie before attempting to sort out Mrs. Styles' directions to where she lived.

Bree had hoped it would take her longer than it did to arrive at the Styles home. But in only twenty short minutes since she'd left the school parking lot, she arrived in front of the Styles home. It was much nicer than she'd anticipated. Harry had reminded her of the inner-city youth back home in Phoenix. She had been expecting to pull up to the curb of a multi-level housing project, encased by chain-linked fencing that was adorned with overgrown vegetation. Instead, before her stood what she could only describe as a mansion. It's stone exterior made it seem majestic and…intimidating. Just like Harry.

Just to be sure, Bree rechecked the address that she had scribbled on the piece of notebook paper before getting out of her truck. With a deep inhale, and her head tucked down, Bree approached the front door. This is so out of my comfort zone.

"Bree?"

A woman Bree assumed was Harry's mother came and stood on the porch as Bree approached.

"Hi," Bree answered cautiously.

"I'm Anne. And you're very punctual! Right on time," Anne welcomed her inside. "Can I get you anything to drink? A snack?"

"I just stopped for a smoothie. I'm fine," Bree held up the evidence.

"Okay. Well I told Harry you two were fine to work in the den. He'll be down in a minute." Anne continued.

"Harry's here already?" Bree asked.

"Yes. We live very close to the school actually. I think he took the bus today. It doesn't take much time to get home."

Bree took in the décor of the home as she followed Anne to the den. Even though she didn't really care about curtains and matching fabrics, she had to admit that whoever decorated the Styles home certainly knew what they were doing.

When Anne excused to herself to go get Harry, as Bree assumed, Bree pulled out the packet that Miss Teale had given them to work on. From the looks of the assignment, Bree simply had to sit next to Harry while he completed the worksheets and answer questions if he had any. There wasn't really anything for her to explain to him. It wasn't grammar, after all.

"Okay you two," Anne smiled, "I'll come back in a little after an hour. Thanks again, Bree, for doing this."

It wasn't until that moment that Bree had even realized Harry was in the room. He was standing against the far wall, staring at her as if he'd just been told there was only enough oxygen in the room for one of them.

"I guess we should get started," Bree said as she slid the worksheet across the table in hopes that he'd sit down somewhere in its vicinity.

Instead, he stayed standing; glaring from where he stood.

"Oh my gosh…I feel like I'm in a really bad after-school special," Bree muttered to herself.

Much to her surprise, Harry heard her…and he laughed.

"So is this the part where I offer you 'reefer' so convincingly that you can't refuse? And then your entire, picture-perfect life comes screeching to a halt?" Harry asked.

Bree frowned. And the thought that formulated in her mind came shooting out of her mouth before she could stop it.

"How can you be failing English? You're so…quick." She observed, along with the fact that he was now sitting across from her at the table.