Chapter 27

I thought I stepped into the biggest carnival in the world, but I didn't. When someone told me it was going to be a beach party, I expected a chill little hang out with tiki torches and music, but I was totally wrong or I was definitely in the wrong place. Enormous balloons were tied to wooden posts throughout the whole pier. There was an actual Ferris wheel that was decorated with lights and extravagant colors that flashed in the night sky; looking like colorful stars. Performers were crowding around the pier; men blowing out fire, jugglers, magicians, etc. Cotton candy stands, carnival games, little rides, and hot dog stands were lined all around in every place. And above all of this, an enormous white sign hung over the entrance (and was pretty much seen everywhere else) that read, "Happy Birthday Kelly!"

"Is this the right place?" Matt asked as we stood in the back of the line.

"I think so..." I trailed off. My eyes wondered at all of the bright flashing colors and the laughing and chattering people that filled the pier. I tried to find Brooke in the waves of people, but it was utterly impossible.

After about an hour, Matt and I finally moved to the front of the line and was checked from the security (wait...security?). After they checked us off from the list, we both held our breath and walked in. For some reason, I had a feeling this wouldn't a be a good night. Maybe it was because I'm a wallflower at parties and just socially awkward or maybe not.

"So, what do we do?" Matt asked under his breath. I giggled as I looked around.

"I have no...." But before I could finish, a familiar ditzy voice shouted my name.

"Jenna! You're here!"

Matt and I turned around to see Kelly with her little group of friends trailing behind her. My heart beat quickened and I squeezed Matt's hand. I didn't want to talk to her right now, but I forced a smile on my face and choked out the words, "Hey, Kelly." Kelly gave me a hug (which she's never done before) and looked at my outfit.

"Girl! You're looking pretty tonight!" She exclaimed. My cheeks got red. Not because of the compliment, but because Kelly has never said that to me before. In fact, I don't remember her even talking to me until a few days ago.

"And this must be Matt," Kelly smiled. I looked over at Matt who I could tell didn't want to be here anymore. He forced a smile.

"Ello, it's nice to meet you," Matt replied with a little wave. Kelly giggled and clutched her hand over her heart.

"Oh my gosh! Your accent! It's so cute that it just kills me!" She exclaimed. Matt chuckled and looked to the ground with rosy cheeks. He looked uncomfortable. Suddenly, Kelly said, "Oh Jenna, Brooke was looking for you. She's in charge of doing a game and she needed your help."

"She is?" I asked. That's weird. Brooke never said anything to me about that. Kelly nodded.

"Yeah, she's over there by the Ferris wheel. And I have to take Matt to the stage and show him where everything goes and stuff. You know, introduce him to the other guys and all that."

"Yeah."

"Matt, you'll be performing around 8 and that's in 30 min. So we better hurry," Kelly explained then grabbed his other hand and started to pull him away. Matt looked at me with a pleading look. He looked like a puppy who is waiting for someone to give it food under the dinner table.

"I'll see you later, babe. I love you," he said just before Kelly yanked him away. I lightly squeezed his hand one last time before we let go.

"I love you too," and with that, he was gone and lost in the crowd of people. I started to make my way to the Ferris wheel and so far, I had not seen any carnival games. In fact, there were less more people around the Ferris wheel. Everyone was just waiting in line to go on. Confused, I called Brooke. Immediately she answered.

"Jenna, where are you?" She asked in a worried tone.

"I'm by the Ferris wheel, Kelly said you would be here working a carnival game," I replied.

"Carnival game? Umm...no I don't think I'm in charge of one of those. I'm at the pretzel stand."

"But Kelly said that you were looking for me to..."

"Wait, Kelly said that? Jenna, do you think Kelly would tell you the truth? She would never tell the truth."

"Yeah...." I started to say but trailed off. Brooke's right. Kelly never tells the truth and why would she tell me something that is true. She hates me. My mind started to wrap around the whole idea and suddenly, I gasped. Kelly would never tell the truth. My heart stopped and my hands trembled with fear.

"Brooke, where's the stage?" I asked quickly.

"Oh, it's like....at the end of the pier. Why?" She asked.

"I-I-I gotta go. I'll tell you later," I choked and ended the call. I started to jog through the crowd; dodging and weaving around people. As I ran, I dialed Matt's number. It started to ring. I kept running. It kept ringing. I kept running. It kept ringing. I picked up my pace. It kept ringing. My run turned into a sprint. It kept ringing. I saw the stage and sprinted. It stopped ringing and went to his voicemail. My throat tightened and my chest became heavy at the thought of Kelly and Matt. I needed to find them.

As I approached the stage, I spotted a guy walking up the stage with a guitar hanging over his shoulder.

"Hey you!" I shouted. He looked up at me through his long bangs.

"Yeah?"

"Have you seen Kelly with a guy who had an accent and beachy hair?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, the British dude! They headed down under the pier. She said something about showing him the cable or something," the guitar guy explained. Immediately, I ran past him and headed down under the pier without a reply. My eyes started to water as I got closer to the ocean and the smell of seaweed and fish wreaked the air. Suddenly, over the sound of the waves, I heard Kelly giggle. I stopped in my tracks; around the corner from under the pier. I hid behind a wooden post and silently cried. It hurt too much to turn my head and look. I could literally feel my heart splitting in two. Matt's voice whispered over the waves and I heard the word that killed me inside.

"Kiss."

 I bit my lip and clenched my fists to help hold back my cries and screaming. I wanted to punch something so bad. I wanted to scream into a pillow or out at the ocean. I wanted to yell at Matt and ask him why did he do it to me. I wanted to ask him so many things all at once; it was so overwhelming. A flood of anger and emotion hit me like a tsunami wave and I fell to the ground; sinking in the sand. At that moment, I felt so alone.