43 - Fjörutíu og þrír

"Ima. What is he talking about?" I asked her, now slowly panicking, but trying my best to maintain my composure.

I kept walking towards the pack house and Alfie still didn't leave my side.

"Our mate marked me too. There must be a slight discoloration of fur on my back. The mark on each of us gets darker with time, that's probably how he could tell," she said.

"You couldn't tell me this before I shifted?" I asked her.

"I didn't know mine would show up so soon!" she said. I honestly wished I knew more about mates at this point.

"No big deal. Everyone else here except Bayo think I am mated anyway," I said, trying not to panic. And the thought immediately brought my attention to the pendant.

"No. We haven't heard any conversations between him and his wolf. There's no way he would have heard us. Relax," Imadis said.

I sighed and walked into the building, Alpha Alfie quietly following behind. His presence was increasingly annoying, but there was nothing I could say to him.

As I reached my door, relieved to get rid of his tall form behind me, he spoke again.

"Ah I see we're neighbors. That's my room over there," he said, pointing to the next door in the hallway.

I mustered my best smile and hoped it didn't seem too fake before entering my room and closing the door behind me.

"There you are," Bayo said, smiling. He was sitting on the bed, going through a book.

"Where were you all day? You weren't at the training," I asked him, my eyes turning to slits.

"I figured you could manage on your own so I decided to start working on the pack blueprint. I was exploring," he said.

My anger instantly vanished.

"Oh," I said, feeling a little stupid for getting angry at him again. He just shook his head.

"Here," he said, picking up a covered tray of food from the side table. "I thought I'd wait for you."

As he took off the lid on the tray, the room filled with a delicious aroma of food, and my stomach growled with hunger.

I went and sat on the bed and immediately started eating.

"What took you so long?" he asked, picking up his fork. "I saw most of the trainees leaving the field over an hour ago."

"I thought I'd do some individual wolf training, and then I was being followed," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Followed? By who?" he asked.

"Our neighbor next door," I said. "Alpha Alfie."

"Oh. I did meet them this afternoon when Fraser showed them their room. He's here with his Luna," he said. "Why'd he follow you?"

"Beats me," I said. I just wanted to avoid him as much as I can. His observant eye seemed dangerous.

"Where were you before now?" he asked me."Before coming here to join our band, I mean?"

"I was at UL, I told you," I replied.

"I mean, were you from a pack? Or were you born in the Liet but later got disbanded?" he asked.

"I was from a pack," I said.

"Which one?" he asked.

"I'd rather not say," I said.

"Bad experience huh? When did you leave?" he asked.

"Why so many questions?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"Why so defensive? I just thought I'd take the opportunity to get to know you better," he said, now shaking his head.

I didn't have to answer any of his questions. I decided to get some rest and started to get out of bed when he held my wrist to stop me.

"You can sleep here too. It's big enough for the both of us," he said.

Even though I was smaller than Bayo, the loveseat was quite a tight fit. But I'd rather sleep there than with Bayo.

"I won't bite," he said in a whisper, his grip on my wrist soft.

I pulled my hand back from his and got up, my ears burning.

"I... I'll be fine," I said and laid down on the sofa facing away from him.

"You're cute when you're shy," he said through the link.

"I'll show him cute," Ima's anger rushed through me.

I almost never liked attention like this, it made me feel uncomfortable and nervous. The one person I wished would hold me right now just keeps running away from me.

I miss him. And I don't even know him.

A tear slipped out of my eye. It had been so long since I let myself cry, but tonight, I felt alone. It hurt. I couldn't control it.

A feeling of warmth filled my chest, just as I was about to wipe my tears. It was a foreign feeling, not my own.

"It's him," Ima said. "He feels your pain. He's coming for us."