$36

We arrived to the wake that was at Beck’s mother’s house. The neighborhood she lived in was similar to the one Finley stayed in. The houses were bigger although. People were seen jogging around with their dogs on leashes or enjoying chats in front of their homes. It seemed like mostly older people lived in the community. I guess Beck came from a well-off family. A bunch of cars were parked around the house, and every light was on in the place. I parked alongside the road and Finley let out a deep breath. I unbuckled my seatbelt and looked over towards her. She looked like she was trying to control her breathing. “Are you cool,” I asked her. She nodded and waved me off with her hand. I watched as she got out of the car and closed the door. Taking the keys out of the ignition, I got out of the car too and walked over to stand on the sidewalk to wait for Finley to get Rumor out of her car seat.

Once Finley was ready with Rumor, we began walking up the walkway to the suburban home. The front door was opened so I assumed it would be okay just to walk in. I opened the screen door and let Finley and Rumor walk in before me. I didn’t know any of these people so I didn’t feel comfortable walking into a room full of condescending people. They’d probably take one look at all of my tattoos and fucking faint. I laughed at the thought a bit, as I walked into the house behind Finley. It seemed like just about everyone stopped sipping on their champagne and stared over at us. The place looked more of a high-class social party than a wake. No one was crying, but instead they were drinking and laughing in their all black attire. People gave Finley dirty looks, which didn’t make sense to me. You would think they’d be giving me dirty looks and not the widow of the man that just died.

“Mommy, I have to pee,” Rumor said as she tugged at the end of Finley’s dress.

Finley rolled her eyes before scolding her daughter. “I told you to do your business before we came.” The girl sighed before turning towards me. “I’m going to take her to the bathroom. I’ll be right back.” I nodded and Finley walked away with her daughter. I turned and looked around the place. There was a refreshments table set up so I walked over to it. I frowned at the choice of food. There was crackers and cheese, fucking fruits, and vegetables. The fuck was this? I’ve been to a wake or two because a distant relative died, but whenever we had wakes we definitely had better fucking food than this. We actually had cooked food, not whatever this bullshit was. I rolled my eyes at the fuckery before grabbing a strawberry.

“She has some nerve showing her face around here,” I heard an older woman whisper. Four older women were in a circle talking behind me in their long black dresses with their greyish blonde hair. “It’s her fault that my boy is gone.” I assumed that the woman talking was Beck’s mother. What the fuck was she even talking about? It’s not like Finley robbed the bank or that she knew that Beck was going to die that night. “Did you know she was once a dyke?” I cringed at the word as the rest of the older women made shocked noises. “All she wanted Beck for was his money. Then she had the nerve to get a messed up he-she to donate their sperm since Beck was sterile. If you ask me, her daughter is no granddaughter of mine. She’s a weird child.” I bit down my lower lip, trying so hard not to curse the woman out. I clenched my fists before I covered my face with my hands. Get it together, Zen. “I wouldn’t be surprised if her daughter is just as messed up as the he-she that gave her its sperm.”

That’s when I turned around. The woman could disrespect Finley all she wanted to, but she had no right to talk about a child, especially not Rumor. “Why don’t you shut your motherfucking mouth,” I yelled. The woman turned around to face me. She didn’t seem a bit more intimidated by me. She actually laughed at me. “Do you think that I’m fucking funny,” I asked as I moved few more steps closer to her. I stared down at the woman and her lips turned down from the snarky smile she had on her face. “You have no right to talk about her! You lost your son and she lost her husband! Do you have any idea how she feels right now!? You’re a coldhearted, stupid ass, Belk perfume wearing, snobby fucking bitch!” The woman gasped and so did everyone else. Everything got quiet. “And if you even think about talking shit about Rumor again in your fucking life, I will fucking end it!” I grabbed the woman by her dress and leant in so my lips were close to her ear. “And just so you know, I’m a fucking ‘dyke.’ I like my women old.” The woman looked as if she was going to have a heart attack.