18 || Telephone Therapy

I am not a slave, can't be contained
So pick me from the dark and pull me from the grave

MIRABELLE SWAN

Things had resumed to their natural order. Or at least, as natural as things could seem after Bella had been unanimously accepted by the coven. Carlisle had high hopes for her and Edward's relationship but still had his own reservations. Rosalie made it quite clear that she had no intention of making my twin feel very welcomed.

Emmett has complained nonstop to Edward about Bella needing to stay a certain distance from his aggravated mate. Nowadays he was practically glued to her side to act as a deterrent of any vicious thoughts she might have. The big crybaby was really just upset he had less time to play video games or go wrestle a bear - typical muscle headed stuff.

As much as I loved the Cullen family like they were my own, living with them made it sort of impossible to have any time to myself. School offered that short reprieve needed from the supernatural. Recently I've joined the photography club. Mr. Conan was a real visionary of the arts. He was always encouraging the 5 of us that made up the club to go beyond our comfort zones in order to capture new views.

We seemed to connect as teacher and student. He even gave me an extra key to the Red Room so I could develop my pictures whenever I wanted. Jasper didn't say anything but I knew he didn't appreciate me getting close to another male. To which I said, "Grow the fuck up Jasper. The guy is like three times my age." Now that I look back at my argument maybe bringing up his age wasn't a strong defense statement considering Jasper was way more than that.

Oh well. Nothing that could be done now. I was just enjoying the few moments I had in the forest alone. Once more, I've returned to the other side of the treaty line hoping to capture some snapshots of this rare sunny day and to possibly see my furry headed friend. I've missed being able to pet the huge, fluffy beast. If he wasn't absolutely enormous I'd take him back as a comfort animal for all the stress and anxiety my boyfriend was giving me.

The lens auto-focused on the small yellow flower sprouting from the damp mulch. There were a few small mushrooms growing around it as well. A songbird in a tree branch, the rays of sun shredding through the thick pine needles, the green moss that slowly devoured the old boulder - everything made me excited to see in print. There was an album competition coming up. Mr. Conan was personally recommending me for it.

I've never joined a competition where others saw my art. Literally my family and Jasper are the only other people who've seen what I can do. Moving around when I was growing up meant that I was often the new kid subjected to criticism. I know better now but there's still that small voice in the back of my head telling me that I wasn't good enough. Competition scared me. And that's why participating in the album competition wasn't a question.

The flash of white at the corner of my eyes made me smile. My silver wolf shook his body off, causing the fur on his back to shine like silk thread. Those deep brown eyes that matched the warmest caramel chocolate seemed to brighten upon seeing me. In three long strides, he now stood in front of me, tail wagging, and long tongue hanging goofily at the side of his mouth.

"Haha. Hey boy. You miss me?" I scratched under his chin, earning a grateful huff. "Yeah, me too. Things have been so crazy lately. Thought I'd come visit you before stuff kicked back up again. How've you been buddy?"