22» That Lie

Grace's POV
« NOW »

The loud booming sound wasn't just any sound. It was gunshots. That's what Luca told me when we left that arcade looking restaurant.

"Are you serious?" I stared at his back. He turned around with a frown, making me stop dead in my tracks.

"Why in the hell would I joke about it?" He asked.

I looked back at the restaurant and saw how some security guards were trying to calm the chaos now. I felt bad leaving Fraser and Alice in there. Maybe I should've called them.

"Look, I know how nice it would be to stay here and figure out whether those are gunshots or not, but we can't do that." He looked like he was losing his patience.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Do you want to die so early, Rose?" He asked.

"What?" I asked, more confused than scared.

He inhaled deeply. "The guys back there, the ones shooting random people, they're after me." He explained. "And if we don't run, we die."

My eyes widened at that. "Why are they after you?"

My eyes widened even further when he took hold of my wrist, a strange feeling settling at the pit of my stomach. "Let's pretend you didn't ask that, okay?"

I didn't get to say anything before he turned around and started walking away, dragging me behind him.

He was into drugs. He threatened people with guns. And now, some people were trying to come after him.

He was right; a lot had changed.

I didn't know where we were going. All I knew was that we were going as far away as possible from that restaurant. For some reason, I was expecting someone trying to catch up to us. But nobody was behind us.

And I was starting to doubt whatever Luca had just told me.

Maybe he had just made that up. Maybe he was lying when he said those people were after him.

Before I could've opened up my mouth and asked him about it, we stopped in front of the big ferris wheel. The small cabins came down one by one as people got inside.

Were we–

"There he is!" I heard a shout right behind me. I turned around and looked. Luca didn't. All he did was get inside one of the compartments before pulling me along.

I almost would've fallen face-first if he hadn't wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me inside. Which landed me on top of him. Gripping his shoulders, my eyes widened at the close proximity. His hand, however, stayed where it was.