37 | Long Time Coming

3 7
Long Time Coming

The heat from the sun shining down on us has my thighs feeling like they're on fire. Arlin Preparatory's thick sweatpants aren't helping.

"I just want to rip these pants off," I say in annoyance.

"Same." I look over my shoulder, finding Jalen with a smirk. "What? I agree with you. I want to rip them off, too."

I roll my eyes, but there's no fighting off the smile making its way to my face. "You're annoying."

Jalen nods. "Yeah. I agree again."

He laughs, and so do I. He then reaches for the front of my baggy gym shirt, pulling me closer and placing a kiss on my forehead. His lips move to my nose, my cheek, and finally to my lips.

I bring my hands to his hair, running my fingers through the softness. Just as his hand moves higher up my thigh, a whistle is blown in the distance. We ignore the sound until it comes a second time, and is much closer.

We break away to find the gym teacher standing at the bottom of the bleachers.

"This isn't a hotel room, Uccello," the gym teacher grinds out. "Keep your hands to yourself."

Jalen scowls at her, then turns back to me, angry look replaced with that same easy smile from before. "She's just jealous."

I purse my lips. "You're telling me all the teachers here want you, too?"

He chuckles, shaking his head. "She's jealous of me," he corrects.

"Oh," I comment, eyes going back to the teacher. "That makes sense. I'm fucking hot."

Jalen smirks, pulling my legs closer, resulting in one being thrown over his lap. "Hell yeah you are."

Before we can kiss again, that same obnoxious whistle goes off. This time, however, it's directed at someone else. I realize it's from the other side of the field, not related to our gym class at all. There's a group of girls with a coach directing them and pom poms in hand.

Cheerleaders. This must be their practice time during school hours, and since this is the first gym class I've had the pleasure of having outside at Arlin Preparatory, I'm just now realizing we have to share the field.

But cheerleaders means Cortney's there, seeing as she's the head of it all. I move my gaze away, knowing I don't need to see that.

Just as I turn away, though, I spot someone walking over. The whistle must've signified a quick break, as the girls separate to grab waters or sit. Not Cortney, though. She looks to the figure approaching her, and it's none other than Rachel.

What the fuck could those two have to talk about?

I finally turn away. I definitely don't need to deal with all of that. They're not my concern—never should have been or will be.

"Wanna do my homework for me?"

Jalen's reaching into his bag for his math textbook. I'd honestly rather not, but if doing some work will keep my mind from worrying about things that don't involve me, then I'll do it.

"I will help you," I correct him while reaching for the book.

"Um," Jalen calls out, grabbing his notebook. "My idea is better."

I shake my head and snatch the notebook from him. "I'll start it off and explain, but you need to do at least half on your own."

Jalen sighs. "Can I get some motivation?"