Chapter 11

Adalee's POV

Waking up is a unique experience. I've never woken up and felt safe, not worried about fixing my dad's breakfast. Remembering where I am, I think back to yesterday.

There is something about Victoria that calms me down and puts me at ease. Something about her that makes me feel safe.

I turn over so I'm facing Victoria, and I see her sleeping. Her eyelashes lay over her cheekbones, highlighting her beauty. Her perfectly shaped eyebrows furrow slightly. I wonder what she's dreaming about. 

Her face smoothens out, and her expression becomes peaceful. Wanting to reach up and touch her face, I do just that. I cup her cheek in my hand and rub my thumb over her cheekbone.

Victoria's eyes flutter open, looking at me with adoration. She leans in and places a lingering kiss on my cheek, making tingles erupt from the place her lips touched.

I gasp at the feeling and feel my cheeks heat up. I get up quickly and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I find a packages toothbrush under the sink, so I open it and put on some toothpaste. Wetting my toothbrush, I brush my teeth meticulously.

Wasting time on brushing my teeth so I don't have to go back and face Victoria, I spend too long with my toothbrush in my mouth. After finishing, I use the bathroom and slowly walk towards the door to leave.

Just standing at the door, I try to decide if I even want to leave the bathroom. It can't be too bad if I just hide out in here, could it?

I hear Victoria say in a bored voice, "I know you're done in there."

Silently cursing myself for being too obvious, I walk out of the bathroom. On the bed is a dress that I assume is for me. It's a cream-colored dress that flows out at the waist.

Looking to Victoria in shock, she just smiles and gestures towards the dress. I ask, confused, "Why?"

"Because you are in my kingdom and you have to dress appropriately. Off you go," she shoos me off into the closet to get dressed.

I reluctantly put on the dress, it somehow fitting my small frame. It's almost like she knew my size...

Walking out of the closet, I look up to Victoria's face to see her reaction. She must have already gotten ready because she's dressed in a beautiful red dress.

Victoria's jaw drops, her looking me up and down. I feel my cheeks heat up again, embarrassed about the way she is looking at me.

All she says is, "Wow... You look stunning."

Not knowing how to take compliments, I say in a posh voice, "Thank you, as do you."

Victoria chuckles at that, amused by my posh accent. She says while laughing, "I don't talk like that."

I shrug nonchalantly, "That's how I imagine queens to talk."

She looks at me skeptically, asking, "How'd you know I'm a queen?"

Shrugging again, I step towards her. "You said that I have to come back to 'your' kingdom. And you look like a queen."

She nods her head, accepting my answer. Her eyes grow out of focus, me being confused. She soon looks to me with a tense expression. "My advisor is questioning where you are."

"Why would your advisor care about me?" I question with my brows furrowed. Am I supposed to be someone important?

"My advisor cares because I care about you. She has said I can't get emotionally attached to anyone, and she thinks I've gotten attached to you," Victoria says while pacing the room, her dress flowing with each step.

"Well let's go see your advisor and explain that I'm here," I suggest, seeing no other option.

Victoria just nods but seems to think it's a bad idea by the expression on her face.

We walk down through the corridors until we arrive at this fancy door that is labeled, 'Meeting Room.'

We walk in and I see a lady with auburn hair and a straight pencil skirt. Her red hair is up in a professional-looking bun.

"Queen Victoria, what did you do with the girl?" The lady asks. She seems to be pacing the room as Victoria and I walk in.

"Don't worry, she is right here." Victoria sits down at a large table and motions for me to sit down next to her.

"That's what I'm worried about," The lady exclaims. "I said to not go back to the girl and then you bring her here."

Victoria stands up quickly, her posture dominating. "You watch your tone, Cora. Remember your place."

The girl I assume is named Cora, says, "Her father was talking on the phone with someone, saying that she is dead. What if someone finds out she's alive and they come to expose our kingdom? You shouldn't have saved her."

My jaw drops surprised she would say this. I don't know her but she is just being rude. "Excuse me? I haven't done anything to you so I would watch your manners," I spit angrily at her. She practically wishes I was dead!

Victoria looks at me with pride in her eyes and nods her head at me with a smile. She looks to Cora with a taunting gaze, seeing if she will say anything else.

Cora deciding against speaking, she stands up and leaves. Her stomping out of the room, Victoria mutters, "I didn't dismiss her. How disrespectful."

I sit back in my chair, arms crossed. That entire situation made me mad and it's not easy to make me mad.

Cora and I didn't get off to a great start.