Close To You

~So many people, all of the ones surrounding me. And if you'd ask them, they would describe me differently. So many reasons, so many different sides of me. And I can't decide who I want to be. 'Cause some people make me bitter, smile and then squeeze a lime in my cut. And some people make me sweeter. 'Cause they make me feel like I am enough~ Astrid S.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Favorite Part of Me' by Astrid S.

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

°°

Rainey

"That's my house right there," I announce.

Alex pulls up at the gates of my house, bending his head to peer up at the lilac grey walls.

"Woah. That's a very big house you got there."

"Thanks for the lift."

"And thanks for the smoke." Riley smiles at him. He returns one, a spark igniting his sapphire eyes while he stares at her.

I look between the two people who are locking eyes for longer than necessary. Ansel glances at them over his shoulders, and I clear my throat.

"Ehem, if you both are done with your alien-eye-coded-conversation, I'd like to head to bed. I have school in the morning." I interrupt, unlocking the door and sliding out.

Riley breaks eye-contact. "Right, I have a train to catch in the morning. Goodnight Alex, bye Ansel."

Ansel nods at her, and I stand there wondering if I should tell him a farewell as well. It feels weird for some silly reason, so I decide against it and just make my way toward my house.

"That was a fun ride," Riley comments while we walk toward my doorsteps.

Alex's car speeds away behind us while I glance over at her smiling face, waggling my brows. "Sure was, wasn't it? And how about the smoke? Mm? You liked that too?"

She squints her eyes. "What are you trying to say, Rain?"

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Nothing at all, you just blatantly stared him in the eyes for almost a minute."

She slumps her shoulders, staring at me straight-faced. "I know what you're thinking; it's not like that. What about you, mmm? You didn't tell Ansel goodbye because you just couldn't bear looking him in the eyes."

How could she be so accurate?

I look away. "That's not it."

She laughs. "Ha. It sure is!"

"At least we didn't eye-make out." I stick my tongue out, and she play-punch me in the rib as I enclose my hand around the knob to check if the door's open.

It is and I am not surprised, My Mom and Jeff go to bed late most nights.

I push the door open and they are on the couch watching TV. Jeff's hand is thrown over her shoulders while they chuckle at whatever boring TV series they like so much.

My Mom finally looks over at the closing of the door and her smile fades.

"And where are you coming from, young lady?"