Betrayal

Ares

"Give up!" He said with a smirk. "You pull that trigger and you're dead, what's even the point in trying?"

Christian Ricci.

I wanted to shoot that smirk off his face. He's been my rival for many years and he was my father's rival before too. Now he was trying to take away the last thing I had as if he hadn't taken enough already.

I had a gun pointed at him but it was almost useless as he had two of his minions holding me at gunpoint.

I looked around trying to find a way out of this situation.

One solution would be to risk it all. Shoot and run, but it was too dangerous and I had a girl to take care of at home.

The other option would be to surrender and make up a plan later on.

"You've already taken enough from me, when will you stop?" I asked him.

"If I didn't know better I'd say you don't know how mafia works D'Angelo"

I felt anger rise in me as I tried to act rational.

"That's not my name"

"Oh yeah, what was the new one? Hale?" He asked, the smirk not leaving his face, "So lame. Why would you deny your father like that?"

"Don't talk about my father"

"Why? Are you going to cry because daddy's gone now?" He mocked. "Grow up kid"

I wanted to choose the option to shoot and run. I was dying to, but i remembered what papa said.

Never make a decision when you're angry. Always think rationally.

"You're so conceited and overconfident thinking you're undefeated, invincible" He said looking at me with a look full of disgust, "Your fifteen minutes of fame are over Ares, get over yourself boy"

I held back a laugh.

This man had no idea about who he was messing with. He thought I was that greedy weak little boy. He thought his manipulation methods worked on me.

I had to fool this fool.

"I'm trying to make you see, you're blinded by your love" he spat out the word, "Love makes you weak Ares, just like it did your father. If you want to be king again, you can't be weak, you can't be a greedy boy forever. If you seriously want this then let me guide you as an apology for what I've done to you"

I swallowed my pride.

"Yes sir"

The moment I said that his lips stretched into a smile.

"That easy huh? I can't trust you D'Angelo"

No shit

"You'll be held in the dungeons. We'll test your loyalty one way or another"

I knew what that meant.

"Now drop the gun and kick it away"

I did as told and put my hands up in surrender. His minions handcuffed me and led me away.

"Oh and don't worry, little Serenity is safe for now. She managed to escape" He said just as we were about to exit the room.

I took a deep breath and smiled.

She's safe.

I didn't care what happened to me if she was okay, but I knew she wouldn't be okay if I left forever.

On the other hand maybe I was the one putting her in danger. Maybe she was better off without me.

I was shoved into a cell and stayed quiet as they locked me in.

It smelled like shit in there. If the torture didn't kill me, the smell sure would.

One of the guards took out a gun and I shut my eyes getting ready for what was about to happen.

The gunshot was heard and I felt my leg burning. One thing I've learned from experience.

You never get used to getting shot.

"Can't have you running around" One of them said and then they both left.

I took off my shirt and tied it around the would so it could maybe stop the bleeding and keeo it from being infected.

Then I sat in silence. I could hear some distant screams but they were too far away.

______

Time had passed. I wasn't sure how much time. It seemed like centuries but maybe it was only hours or minutes.

I sat there in the same position feeling my head get lighter. That's when I heard someone coming my way.

I looked at the bars and saw a familiar figure standing there with a tray.

"Vincent?" I called out.

"I-I" He trailed off not knowing what to say.

"So it was you who set me up" I said with a smirk.

"Boss let me explai-"

"No need to explain. I trusted you boy. I was willing to train you willing to guide you. That's how you repay me"

"Boss-"

"Don't fucking call me that" I spat. "Let me tell you something kiddo. Betrayal won't get you anywhere. You need to earn your power not rely on others'"

"I'm sorry"

"Are you really?"

"I swear I haven't betrayed you. I didn't want to do it"

"Then why did you?"

"I can't tell you" he said looking down with shame.

"No more talking. When the time comes you'll prove your loyalty. For now just shut up and throw that tray away. I'm not eating that"

He nodded avoiding my gaze and left.

I felt like a fool. I had trusted him, I was ready to be his mentor.

But now I didn't have time for that. I had to think of a plan to get out of here and kill that bastard.

After some time a guard came to get me. He handcuffed me again and led me somewhere. I knew what was going to happen.

And it did.

And then they threw me in that cell again in my own pool of blood, barely conscious.

Ricci wanted to make sure I was too weak to think or try to escape. He was wrong. He underestimated me.

I'll hold on for her. I'll hold on because she gives me strength.