Chapter 35

*Note: Short Chapter

Chapter 35

The laughing and crying lasted for a while. At first it was just my dad and me. We were talking over each other, grinning like crazy, and sharing stories that we had little interest in. We just wanted to be together and catch up all at once. My dad finally stood us up and he reached out for my mom, bringing her into the huddle we had created.

I could not begin to describe how I was feeling. I was happy. I felt emotional. I felt right for the first time since Theo’s death.

“How are you here?” I asked my dad, my voice loud and excited. I wasn’t doing it on purpose. I just suddenly felt hyper.

“Your mate… he did this,” my dad replied.

My mom turned, and nodded at Caine. “Thank you,” she told him, and my father did the same thing even though it wasn’t really necessary for a human to show respect to an Alpha.

Caine returned the nod. He was quiet and serious, his usual way of behaving when people were around. He was standing near, but he didn’t hover and he didn’t try to join the conversation. I appreciated that.

I was caught off guard when I realized the amount of Wolves standing around outside. I didn’t know why they were there. I didn’t think they were there to welcome my parents. I might have thought that, if I hadn’t seen half of them shifted in their Wolf form, surrounding the mansion. It almost looked like they were guarding it.

I wasn’t sure why, but that gave me a bad feeling. I suddenly felt anxious. The air around us, it felt tense. I looked up at Caine, giving him a questioning look, but he simply shifted his eyes away and focused on my parents.

Soon enough, my mom had taken over the conversation and she was talking about everything and nothing. She was asking about the pack, the land, how it was going to be living there, if I liked it, and how it felt to be Luna.

She distracted me from whatever was going on around us.

Caine did not like the way my mother spoke. I picked up on it from the beginning, but it grew worse when she started talking about power and ruling.

‘It reminds me too much about Tristan’s ideals,’ Caine told me through our mind link when I asked him to please calm down.

We must’ve stayed outside for about fifteen minutes before Caine announced that breakfast was ready. I hadn’t made anything. Caine didn’t cook, so he must’ve had it prepared. I had not even noticed. Although the amount of things I didn’t notice lately was insane.

We sat in the long dining table. Caine sat at the head of the table. I sat on his right, my mom on his left, and my dad was right next to me.

I felt giddy, for some reason. I still couldn’t believe they were really there.

Someone from the pack must’ve prepared the food. It smelled great. I felt hungry. It might have been because I hadn’t been eating lately. With my parents there, I truly felt a lot more normal than I had in a while.

“You never told me how you liked being in Locus,” my mom commented, her eyes focusing pointedly on Caine.

“It’s my home,” I shrugged. “It’s very different from Knight.”

“I’ve seen,” my mom said, although there was no way for her to really know since she’d been there less than a day.

I had already thanked Caine. I was even more grateful every time I noticed him glare or shake his head at my mom. At least he was keeping quiet and finding a way to deal with it without being rude. My mother had a way of being difficult. I didn’t really understand why Caine was upset, other than how loud my mom could be. She had nothing but praises for Locus Pack and Caine.