33. Damaged

Draco was sleeping, peacefully, on the hospital bed. If it wasn't for the three young Healers buzzing around him, Hermione would have thought he was sleeping. But, as Hermione stepped forward, closer to his bed, she noticed how injured he really was. His skin was greyer, dotted with purple and black bruises that mapped his body. A large gash, that had recently been treated by a Healer, tore through his upper arm. Hermione continued to scan his poor, fragile body, wincing at how pale and lifeless he looked, like all the blood had been drained out of his body.

Hermione took a sharp intake of breath and clutched her chest. The Head Healer, sensing Hermione's angst, conjured up a soft armchair next to the top of Draco's bed. Hermione fell back into it as her feet were no longer able to hold her up; the emotions of today were finally starting to catch up with her. The Healer waved her wand and another chair appeared, she sat beside Hermione and rubbed her shoulder gently. Hermione was slumped forward. Her eyes burned but she had no tears left to cry. Placing her head in her hands she murmured to the Healer, "He's much worse than he looks, isn't he?"
The Healer studied Hermione for a moment before pursing her lips and nodding her head softly. Hermione was bright, she knew that magic had restored and concealed the worst of his injuries. The Healer took a small breath and spoke gently and quietly, looking over to Draco, "He sustained a broken leg, three broken ribs and a broken neck, among many other injuries."

Hermione closed her eyes in pain and nodded, thankful that the Healer had decided not to continue listing all of Draco's injuries. She didn't know any other way to process the news, so she bit down on her lip hard. The Healer continued, smiling slightly and placing her hand on Hermione's "Miss Granger, we have treated him with all the spells and potions available. All we can do now is wait but," and she smiled wider, "we have full confidence he will be okay."

Hermione slumped back into her chair and pressed her hands into her eyes. Although she was still sick with nerves, a huge weight had been lifted off her chest and it felt like she could breath again. With her eyes still closed, Hermione could here the soft murmurings of the Healers as they finished examining Draco and began to leave the room. The Head Healer stood from her chair and Hermione sat forward to look at her, "Thank you." Hermione croaked, her voice hoarse and her body aching with her tiredness.

The Healer waved her chair way and smiled sweetly at Hermione. "You're very welcome Minister."

Hermione watched as the Healer headed for the door. Before leaving she paused, and looked back at her, "Minister, forgive me for stepping out of line but," she glanced over at Draco's sleeping figure and back to Hermione, "he really loves you. Bringing him in, all he did was yell for you. In fact," the Healer began to laugh "I almost knocked him out myself just so I didn't have to hear your name again."

With one final wink and warm smile, the Healer walked out of the room and shut the door behind her, leaving Hermione alone and in silence.

Hermione felt her eyes growing tired as she looked back over to Draco. She studied his features; appreciating, for the first time, how perfect she thought he was. She brought her hand up to his hair and ran her fingers through it, it had felt like a lifetime ago he had left for Russia. Letting her eyes close gently, she laid her head on the side of his bed and fell asleep stroking his hair; hoping her dreams would be better than her reality.

Hermione woke the next morning to the familiar quiet whispers of the Healers as they moved around Draco. The sun was streaming through the open window and she enjoyed the way it warmed her skin. Lifting her head, she smiled at Draco's still sleeping face, but her heart twinged with just a little disappointment; all night she had dreamt of him being awake, it was hard to be brought back to reality.

She slowly got out of her chair and stretched her muscles. She had woken up many times during the night because of how uncomfortable she was, but she couldn't leave Draco, not for a second. While she stretched her arms above her head, one of the Healers walked over to her. He was taller than her, yet kept his eyes trained firmly on his feet.

"Good morning Minister." He said nervously, his hands deep in the pockets of his robes. Hermione smiled, after a night of sleeping sitting upright, I'm sure she looked anything but what the perfectly presented Minister for Magic she usually was. He continued, "We have to ask you to head to the waiting room, we have to continue Mr Malfoy's treatment."

Hermione didn't want to leave. She glanced over at Draco's sleeping figure, which looked much more beat up, bruised and scratched in the morning light, and sighed. Nodding her head, she walked out the door, every cell in her body screaming at her to stay.