Chapter 18

I had been sitting at home on the couch, looking through the bestiary, reading all the information we had on every creature within the pages. The other books that had been written by members of The Organization were around me. Inside they only held the information I'd already learned from my dad.

It contained ways to kill the creatures, ways to capture them, how they were turned or if they even had the ability to turn people. It didn't give anything deeper than that, and before I hadn't thought there was anything deeper. I had only needed ways to kill them or make them weak.

I heard my dad walk in through the back and I quickly stacked the books and shoved them into my bag.

"Are you home Electra?"

"Yeah. In the living room."

He made his way into the room, sitting down in his chair, looking at me.

"So how was school?" He asked me.

I looked at him blankly trying to fight back the blush of what had happened with Jared. "Uh, it was fine."

We sat in uncomfortable silence for a while. I didn't know what to say to him, and he obviously didn't know what to say to me. I finally decided to approach the subject of information about the supernatural creatures, knowing I needed to tread carefully.

"Do we have anymore information on these creatures?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Like vampires...or werewolves. Is there anything beside what's in the books? Do we know anything more? I mean what happens during the process of their transition if they're turned? Or if there's a way to reverse it."

"What are you talking about Electra?"

I could feel my heart attempting to pound out of my chest. I knew I shouldn't be talking about this. I should be staying as far away from subjects like this as I could with him. I didn't need to give my dad any reason to suspect anything. He may believe that Jared wasn't one of those paranormal creatures, but it wouldn't take much to make him suspect again.

"I was just wondering if there was more than what you've told me about them? Maybe even more about these things than even you know."

"We know what there is to know. Those creatures kill humans and we need to stop them."

"But what if not all of them do? What if there are some that are-" I stopped trying to think of the right word. "Good?" That wasn't satisfactory enough but it would have to do. And as soon as I said it, I knew it was the wrong thing to say by his reaction.

"Do you honestly think those creatures can be good? They killed your mother."

"One of them killed my mother. One Alpha four years ago."

"And other hunters have similar stories, it's what our organization was founded on. You've seen the cover ups on the news, you've witnessed the attacks yourself."

"Humans kill people too, but we don't go around killing them."

"We need to protect humans from these creatures, Electra." His voice had started to rise; I could tell he was getting angry. I'd never questioned what my father or The Organization had to say about these creatures. And my father was angry that I was starting to question now. "We can't let them run around turning people, that's worse than any human violence"

He was right, I agreed with him completely there. For them to turn humans into their kind was worse than human violence that existed every day.

"What about those who have been turned? Those who were turned against their will?" I knew I shouldn't have said it. I should have kept myself quiet, but I'd been unable to stop the words that tumbled out.